Open Registry of Game Information 

• Region definitions

• Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.
Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37819  by gene
 04 Jan 2014, 15:05
So we do need the definition of "Regions".

Regions are used e.g. for Releases (where was this Release available?) and GameTitles (what is the meaning here?).

I started a Wiki document for Regions.

Any suggestions or helpers?
 #37824  by MZ per X
 05 Jan 2014, 16:16
Bah, these smallish North American countries, I always confuse them with each other. ;)

But seriously, we don't have to reinvent the wheel here, let's use the classification of the UN. Did this for Europe in the wiki, leaving out some too small regions.
 #37825  by gene
 05 Jan 2014, 18:41
MZ per X wrote:...we don't have to reinvent the wheel here, let's use the classification of the UN. Did this for Europe in the wiki, leaving out some too small regions.
Wow, how do you always find these things? :D
That looks really good, we can use this list.

But open is:
Which regions are missing in the list which are needed for Game Releases? I mean regions like "German speaking countries". Are there any similar like this one?
 #37828  by MZ per X
 05 Jan 2014, 21:14
gene wrote:Wow, how do you always find these things? :D
Always? :)
gene wrote:Which regions are missing in the list which are needed for Game Releases? I mean regions like "German speaking countries". Are there any similar like this one?
Probably. But what's also missing is Business Regions of bigger companies like Nintendo. But we don't need to be complete here for a start, people will complain soon enough if some region is missing. :)
 #37831  by Ultyzarus
 06 Jan 2014, 02:00
The North-American games (mostly Nintendo ones) often state that their game are "for sale, rental and use only in the USA, Canada, Mexico and Latin America". That would be the official release region for those games. However, we have three or four release types here:

-English only cover (Anything older than PS1, PS1)
---(when I submit those, I normally check only USA)

-Bilingual (French/English) cover (Various platforms)
---(when I submit those, I normally check only Canada)

-English only cover and game with a Canadian flag logo on the back cover to indicate that there is also a French manual included (PS1, some PS2 and PC games)
---(when I submit those, I normally check only Canada)

-Trilingual (French/English/Spanish) cover (almost exclusively for recent Nintendo (by Nintendo, for Nintendo consoles) games, namely Wii and DS Mario games.)
---(when I submit those, I normally check USA, Canada and Mexico)