Open Registry of Game Information 

• Open discussion / feedback

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37263  by Rola
 21 Oct 2013, 12:11
MZ per X wrote:time to get the popcorn.
I must admit I log in to MobyGames not in hope to see things fixed - because I lost not only that hope, but also my sympathy to MG project*) - but solely thanks to a great German invention: die Schadenfreude. Oh, to see CornPopper officially admit what we had suspected: GameFly probably demanded some results from that lousy webdeveloper and he launched the site despite messing up updates...

*) why? because I passionately loved it, and now I feel exploited and betrayed... I naively gave them second chance in 2010, now I'd be foolish to continue to support them any longer
 #37281  by MZ per X
 23 Oct 2013, 04:16
Rola wrote:... I naively gave them second chance in 2010...
I skipped that step. For me, the magic was already gone for good by then, and not to be found in other projects existing out there any more.

That's why we are here, trying to re-create this magic. :)
 #37288  by Ultyzarus
 23 Oct 2013, 13:47
MZ per X wrote:
Rola wrote:... I naively gave them second chance in 2010...
I skipped that step. For me, the magic was already gone for good by then, and not to be found in other projects existing out there any more.

That's why we are here, trying to re-create this magic. :)
Trying to bring as much magic as I can as well! ;)
I just hope all of this will be successful, but it's promising to say the least!

If we could get Oleg and Sciere to join, we could really benefit from their experience, too...
 #37408  by willyum
 04 Nov 2013, 07:32
Greetings! My name's willyum, and I too stumbled here from Mobygames. I've contributed a small amount compared to many of the other users, but I always turned to that site for reviews and game information. Only the last time I went there, the site looked so different I seriously thought I had entered the wrong address in the address bar. And then I had problems trying to add some covers, and received no replies to my email inquiry. Anyhow, long story short, I wish I could provide more assistance, only my programming knowledge is now kaput from years of not being used, and I really have no knowledge of databases.

One question: if we were to add a game to the database (once it's up and running of course) how stringent would it be to provide an accurate description of the gameplay elements? There was a game I tried to add to Mobygames (Terry Bradshaw Fantasy Football), but I wasn't able to provide a good description of the gameplay because the game was still sealed, and I couldn't bring myself to crack open the shrinkwrap.
 #37409  by MZ per X
 04 Nov 2013, 10:04
willyum wrote:Greetings! My name's willyum, and I too stumbled here from Mobygames.
Welcome to you, too! :D Glad you found us.
willyum wrote:Anyhow, long story short, I wish I could provide more assistance, only my programming knowledge is now kaput from years of not being used, and I really have no knowledge of databases.
It's no secret that we could use more Java programmers. If you want to play around with the code, despite the rust on your skills, you can find some tutorial here.
willyum wrote:One question: if we were to add a game to the database (once it's up and running of course) how stringent would it be to provide an accurate description of the gameplay elements?
Unlike Mobygames the game description won't be mandatory. Instead, we will generously reward people who write one. :)
 #37413  by Rola
 04 Nov 2013, 14:49
MZ per X wrote:Unlike Mobygames the game description won't be mandatory.
Oh, that's a surprise. I was thinking about it since I was told "don't worry, we aren't starting from scratch but importing from TheLegacy" - and I can't find descriptions @ TheLegacy...

There are so many "empty title" game catalogs on the net, MobyGames shone because of its compulsory descriptions.

I was hoping Oregami aims to be "even better than MobyGames"?
MZ per X wrote:Instead, we will generously reward people who write one.
 #37416  by MZ per X
 04 Nov 2013, 17:21
Rola wrote:There are so many "empty title" game catalogs on the net, MobyGames shone because of its compulsory descriptions. I was hoping Oregami aims to be "even better than MobyGames"?
Mobygames also raised its quality level over the years, not from the beginning, so this decision is a compromise between growth and quality. This way, we hope to appeal to both sides, not turning away contributors like willyum who dislike writing descriptions, but OTOH encouraging people who like doing that to write them. Of course, we will have to see how it works out, and react accordingly.
Rola wrote:
MZ per X wrote:Instead, we will generously reward people who write one.
If you'll find a bread-and butter shop in your area where you can exchange Oregami points for goods, just PM me. I will then consider moving to your location. :lol:
 #37417  by Ultyzarus
 04 Nov 2013, 17:45
MZ per X wrote:
Rola wrote:There are so many "empty title" game catalogs on the net, MobyGames shone because of its compulsory descriptions. I was hoping Oregami aims to be "even better than MobyGames"?
Mobygames also raised its quality level over the years, not from the beginning, so this decision is a compromise between growth and quality. This way, we hope to appeal to both sides, not turning away contributors like willyum who dislike writing descriptions, but OTOH encouraging people who like doing that to write them. Of course, we will have to see how it works out, and react accordingly.
You just need to make the descriptions top-priority in the most-wanted list!
The empty title catalogs are too many, and we do want to aim for a top-quality database!
 #37419  by Rola
 04 Nov 2013, 23:17
Ultyzarus wrote:most-wanted list!
...is useful mostly for dedicated veteran contributors (who are in the minority). What casual contributor browses it?
I'd rather use icons next to title when displayed in a list (like UVL) for "needs description", "needs credits", "needs screenshots".
MZ per X wrote:If you'll find a bread-and butter shop in your area where you can exchange Oregami points for goods
Long time ago I've complained that MobyGames doesn't offer rewards for contributors.

Then I've heard some excuses that they considered it, but that would be limited to USA only etc....

Perhaps it would be possible, had they sided up with the right company (like GOG? Valve's Steam?).

Digital distribution is common today. Don't tell me give-aways aren't possible, as there's almost no per-unit-cost (no packaging/printing involved), moreover if the company want's to give you a freebie, it awards it to your account, so you won't sell it back.
 #37420  by Ultyzarus
 05 Nov 2013, 00:10
Rola wrote:
...is useful mostly for dedicated veteran contributors (who are in the minority). What casual contributor browses it?
I'd rather use icons next to title when displayed in a list (like UVL) for "needs description", "needs credits", "needs screenshots".
I used MG's Most Wanted feature the most when I just started contributing. After that I started researching by myself and adding the new games I bought. Such a feature would be good if it wasn't limited to the user's have list, and paired with those "need" icons.
 #37422  by jotaroraido
 05 Nov 2013, 03:50
Rola wrote:
Achievements for contributions would probably help to get people into contributing things they might not have otherwise tried their hand at. Of course, it might also make people submit short, garbage, or stolen descriptions just to get that number up (but that could be averted by only counting things toward those counts after the submission has been reviewed).

I feel like it would be useful to be able to flag too-short, poorly-written, or plagiarized descriptions, which would also show up in a dedicated "revisions" most-wanted list.
 #37428  by MZ per X
 05 Nov 2013, 20:44
jotaroraido wrote:Of course, it might also make people submit short, garbage, or stolen descriptions just to get that number up (but that could be averted by only counting things toward those counts after the submission has been reviewed).
Of course, similar writing standards like Mobygames has now would apply.
 #37463  by TerokNor
 10 Nov 2013, 13:43
Hi everyone,

another MobyGames expatriate here (and probably one of the longest-serving Moby contributors, I started in 1999). MZ actually tried to recruit me to Oregami a while back, and I wished him good luck but thought it was crazy to try to assemble the amount of data Moby already had again from scratch. But with things being as they are over at Moby, what other chance do we have now?

Will add my thoughts to some of the ongoing discussions soon. I guess I could also think about helping gene out with development since I'm a database developer by day. Which is good and bad, because I don't know if I want to do more coding in my free time as well. We'll see...
 #37464  by gene
 10 Nov 2013, 14:15
TerokNor wrote:Hi everyone,
another MobyGames expatriate here...
Welcome on board!

Would be great if you could share ideas an perhaps some working time for development :D
 #37465  by MZ per X
 10 Nov 2013, 22:23
TerokNor wrote:Hi everyone, another MobyGames expatriate here (and probably one of the longest-serving Moby contributors, I started in 1999). MZ actually tried to recruit me to Oregami a while back, and I wished him good luck but thought it was crazy to try to assemble the amount of data Moby already had again from scratch. But with things being as they are over at Moby, what other chance do we have now?
A warm welcome from me, too! :D Just glad to have you here! Seeing Mobygames drain itself from contributors was sad, but not unexpected for me. The only chance I see is "doing things right", which is what we're trying to achieve here. And with a data import from TheLegacy more than possible, the idea of starting over doesn't sound so crazy any more.
TerokNor wrote:Will add my thoughts to some of the ongoing discussions soon. I guess I could also think about helping gene out with development since I'm a database developer by day. Which is good and bad, because I don't know if I want to do more coding in my free time as well. We'll see...
Discussing development issues with gene, or even contributing some code would be very important for us. Would be just cool if you could enter this realm, too.