Open Registry of Game Information 

• game awards

• Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.
Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37311  by Rola
 26 Oct 2013, 00:24
Big games tend to have their trivia section cluttered with various bits of info (see examples at MobyGames).
How about separating awards into own section? Are they important enough?

Not sure if we should make them structured (like IMDb does for film awards). So the section should be built just like trivia.
 #37318  by Ultyzarus
 26 Oct 2013, 14:14
Yeah, might be interesting, having the award list by competiton with each award linked to the game that won would be neat.

I'd also make a specific section for trophies and accomplishments, but that would be another thread...
 #37330  by Rola
 26 Oct 2013, 16:37
Making an awards list would be tricky. Game industry doesn't have so many recognizable festivals etc. as film industry does. Most awards would probably end up as being "unsorted". Not to mention it only adds complexity etc.

Focused text search (like Site Search at MobyGames) should get you the awards if you ever need to research them.

Ultyzarus wrote:specific section for trophies and accomplishments
Some websites do this, needlessly I say.

Such info is good for FAQ/wiki, isn't it a bit extra for a game catalog like Oregami?
I wouldn't mind a FAQ/walkthrough section just like MobyGames had, which ideally should be transformed into a wiki - not a FAQ written by one person, but collectively. "Another thing I wanted to suggest to MobyGames"...
 #37334  by MZ per X
 27 Oct 2013, 15:49
Rola wrote:How about separating awards into own section? Are they important enough?
Important, they're probably not, but I second this. Many websites out there do their own GOTY awards, so we should better be off in including only awards that have been awarded thrice at least.
Rola wrote:Not sure if we should make them structured (like IMDb does for film awards). So the section should be built just like trivia.
I think it should be structured, because otherwise we won't be able to evaluate the data which is one of the primary goals of any database.
Ultyzarus wrote:I'd also make a specific section for trophies and accomplishments, but that would be another thread...
Do you mean achievements here?
Rola wrote:Such info is good for FAQ/wiki, isn't it a bit extra for a game catalog like Oregami?
I wouldn't call it extra, as we want to document everything relating to games. Let's call it low priority. :)
Rola wrote:I wouldn't mind a FAQ/walkthrough section just like MobyGames had, which ideally should be transformed into a wiki - not a FAQ written by one person, but collectively. "Another thing I wanted to suggest to MobyGames"...
A FAQs / hints / tips / cheats section we should definitely aim for. But please, no wiki. We will have a database with the possibility to correct/update data, so we will be collaborative to begin with.
 #37336  by Patrick
 27 Oct 2013, 20:49
Since almost all relevant awards are given out by gaming magazines/websites, I think this is a question for magazine modelling.
 #37378  by MZ per X
 31 Oct 2013, 09:42
Patrick wrote:Since almost all relevant awards are given out by gaming magazines/websites, I think this is a question for magazine modelling.
There's important awards besides magazines out there, like the game show awards (Best of E3), or the German National Award (Deutscher Computerspielepreis). So I think awards should be more or less independent of the press modelling.
Rola wrote:What about not-so-regular or one-time events? Would I need to create a new type of award in order to assign it just once?
We can add a property to the award about it being regular, or one-time, or sporadic. That shouldn't be a problem.
Rola wrote:On a side note: IMDb still has problems with awards: http://www.imdb.com/updates/guide/awards
Which is a good place to steal a data model from! ;)
 #37387  by Patrick
 31 Oct 2013, 18:18
MZ per X wrote:
Patrick wrote:Since almost all relevant awards are given out by gaming magazines/websites, I think this is a question for magazine modelling.
There's important awards besides magazines out there, like the game show awards (Best of E3), or the German National Award (Deutscher Computerspielepreis). So I think awards should be more or less independent of the press modelling.
That is why I said almost all. This does not change my point. The information is exactly the same (who gave when what award to which game), so the awards page can be automatically updated when the awards of a magazine are modelled. It is very cumbersome to go to thirty or more games and enter almost the same information (everything except the award name/ranking) over and over again. Of course there also be the option to update the awards manually for non-magazine awards, but that does not mean to ignore the obvious usability improvement which presents itself.
 #37391  by MZ per X
 31 Oct 2013, 22:36
Patrick wrote:Of course there also be the option to update the awards manually for non-magazine awards, but that does not mean to ignore the obvious usability improvement which presents itself.
We won't ignore. :) I meant that awards will get their independent data structure in the database which will be linked to those of the press, but not be part of.
 #37460  by Patrick
 09 Nov 2013, 20:17
Also let's not forget that there are also various awards for game companies and game developers.