Open Registry of Game Information 

• Design and Features ideas

• Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.
Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#36965  by Ultyzarus
 26 Sep 2013, 15:01
If, you don't mind, I'll try using photoshop (since I don't have illustrator) and do a mock-up of what I'd like to see on a game rap-sheet. I'll post the links to the result(s) here. If you have ideas, feel free to post them here as well.
 #36969  by gene
 26 Sep 2013, 21:12
That would be great!
We have not done very much in terms of visual mockups, because the underlying data for us was more important to have first.

Do you know moqups.com? Seems to be a nice mockup web app for the browser.
I tried it for some experiments with the input masks for game data.
 #36971  by MZ per X
 26 Sep 2013, 21:59
What gene said, thanks. :) Really looking forward to it.

Some comments:

Please be prepared that your mock-up, as genius as it may become, won't be implemented anytime soon. We're just not that far, yet.

And please consider the differences to Mobygames, I mean the data model of game and release group. That means that a game's rap sheet should, naturally, show the available platforms for a game. But one platform can also have multiple release groups under its belt, like one for the original release, one for a demo, one for a remake, etc.. Don't know whether this data belongs on the rap sheet, though, or on a subpage then.
 #36974  by Ultyzarus
 26 Sep 2013, 23:10
Indeed, I'll recheck the wiki and other info, and try to make it fit with the data model. However it's mostly to show what I'd have in mind. We can then discuss it here and I'll tweak it until everyone (r so) is satisfied ;) I can even make a donation of the psd file if it can be useful.
 #36979  by Ultyzarus
 27 Sep 2013, 15:04
Here is an idea I had, not sure if it's relevant, doable, or if it would look horrible, but here I go:

I thought that having themes (either different icons, or background images) that would apply depending on the game's attributes could be interesting. ie: the Game Group, themes, platforms that apply to a game would each have design elements, and the game's page would take these elements to make a whole.

Like for instance, Mario games could have special-looking buttons, NES game a background using Nintendo classics character in 8-bit modes, so Mario bros. 3 would have the NES bg with custom Mario icons. The game pages could even load random themes elements from all that applies.
 #36998  by MZ per X
 29 Sep 2013, 20:22
Technically spoken, it's perfectly possible, I think. And I like the idea, too.

But we'd need an army of artists for that. Are you that army? :D
 #37007  by Ultyzarus
 30 Sep 2013, 00:46
I'm not an army, but I am an artist nonetheless. If I can find spare time, I can take specific requests, and I could also use my DA account to make contests or just find volunteers for those themes. ;) Anyway, I think it could be done over time, even if only a few tags of game series have it at first, more can be implemented afterwards.
 #37044  by MZ per X
 03 Oct 2013, 16:06
Ultyzarus wrote:Anyway, I think it could be done over time, even if only a few tags of game series have it at first, more can be implemented afterwards.
I really hope so, would be just cool. :)

(Moved this thread to new board "Features".)
 #37167  by Ultyzarus
 11 Oct 2013, 00:55
Just asking, will we be able to enter releases for a game that isn't yet released (maybe with the date set as ie: "26/12/2013 (TBC)" with a pop-up message appearing on said date to verify that the release date hasn't been changed)?
 #37179  by MZ per X
 13 Oct 2013, 02:59
Ultyzarus wrote:Just asking, will we be able to enter releases for a game that isn't yet released...
Releases probably not, that would be illogical. But I just implemented a regional ETA for RGs into the model (Connection 30). :)
Ultyzarus wrote:...(maybe with the date set as ie: "26/12/2013 (TBC)" with a pop-up message appearing on said date to verify that the release date hasn't been changed)?
Cool idea!
 #37192  by Rola
 13 Oct 2013, 21:06
Not a priority, but you do want your database to be popular, if you want to be noticed and have an influx of contributors. Thats why features like "achievements" can be useful - even though they sound immature for us, intellectualists, preserving gaming history pro publico bono 8)

Another thing I was about to suggest to MobyGames (did you notice how often I say that?) was that it has everything needed to encompass backloggery.com functionality (honestly, just add icons "finished", "still playing"... to "Playlist" feature).
 #37197  by MZ per X
 14 Oct 2013, 20:14
Rola wrote:Not a priority, but you do want your database to be popular, if you want to be noticed and have an influx of contributors. Thats why features like "achievements" can be useful - even though they sound immature for us, intellectualists, preserving gaming history pro publico bono 8)
VdeoGameGeek.com and Gamersglobal.de do this to the extreme. Personally, I don't think it's truly important. The contributors that we need, and know from MobyGames, are not tempted by such stuff, but other things.
Rola wrote:Another thing I was about to suggest to MobyGames (did you notice how often I say that?) was that it has everything needed to encompass backloggery.com functionality (honestly, just add icons "finished", "still playing"... to "Playlist" feature).
Oh, this would come in handy for me as well. So I fully support this. :)
 #37202  by Rola
 15 Oct 2013, 17:58
MZ per X wrote:The contributors that we need, and know from MobyGames, are not tempted by such stuff, but other things.
True, those would be the most helpful members. You do however realize how rare those people are?
Why limit yourself - why not tap the hyperactive "fanboys" pool, look at the explosion of game wikis! People even add badges on forums as rewards.

Of course there should be an option in your profile to turn them off. For those selfless intellectuals 8)
 #37205  by MZ per X
 15 Oct 2013, 20:41
Rola wrote:
MZ per X wrote:The contributors that we need, and know from MobyGames, are not tempted by such stuff, but other things.
True, those would be the most helpful members. You do however realize how rare those people are?
Oh, yes. But I think a "Mobygames done right" would dramatically increase their numbers. :)
Rola wrote:Why limit yourself - why not tap the hyperactive "fanboys" pool, look at the explosion of game wikis!
Once we are a little bit on top with older games in the database, we can reach for younger fanbois. :) But if Oregami gets bigger and more widely known, those will come automatically, and frantically add those games they're loving.