Open Registry of Game Information 

• Open discussion / feedback

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37093  by gene
 06 Oct 2013, 21:34
Ultyzarus wrote:Just out of curiosity, when do you expect the Oregami database to go live? In 2 years, 1 year, 6 months, 2 months?
That is (of course) a good question.

While we cannot give you a final answer with a concrete date for that now, we can tell you about the current status and about our goals:
  • up to today (that makes nearly 3 years) we invested approximately 30% of our time for organizational things (non profit organization), 30% for the data model and wanted features, 30% for the technical architecture and only about 10% for real source code. Therefore we are far away from a finished online database. That is not really a bad thing: we are very near to found a non profit organization, the data model is already very comprehensive and the technical architecture is in my opinion very future-proof. We don't want to hurry, we want to do it the right way.
  • we want to publish a first "real", productive version as soon as possible
  • we can imagine that we incrementally extend the first productive version. This means that the first version does not have to include all features and all parts of the data model.
  • our development speed significantly depends on the number and the commitment of the participating developers. At the moment this is only me. That is (better: will become) really a key factor. Before you turn around and say "good bye, another one-developer-project", think again. We are actively doing everything to make it possible for developers to get into the project. And it has never been so easy: I don't know any other gaming database whose source code is completely open source. So let's hope that the "mobygames effect" will convince some more developers to help Oregami.
So to come back to your question:
If we can get two or three more active developers aboard, it could (that's my opinion) be possible to have a "running, productive" version with the major features in about 1 or 1,5 years. Again, for everybody who says "that's too slow" or "that's too late": I would be happy if we could get there more quickly, but we have complex, important technical things to do. If we don't execute these tasks appropriately, it will have bad consequences later for all of us.
 #37094  by Patrick
 06 Oct 2013, 21:40
I'm sure everyone coming from MobyGames will agree with the importance of a solid backend which is flexible enough to change/add features in the future if necessary.
 #37097  by Ultyzarus
 07 Oct 2013, 01:11
gene wrote:
Ultyzarus wrote:Just out of curiosity, when do you expect the Oregami database to go live? In 2 years, 1 year, 6 months, 2 months?
That is (of course) a good question.

While we cannot give you a final answer with a concrete date for that now, we can tell you about the current status and about our goals:
  • up to today (that makes nearly 3 years) we invested approximately 30% of our time for organizational things (non profit organization), 30% for the data model and wanted features, 30% for the technical architecture and only about 10% for real source code. Therefore we are far away from a finished online database. That is not really a bad thing: we are very near to found a non profit organization, the data model is already very comprehensive and the technical architecture is in my opinion very future-proof. We don't want to hurry, we want to do it the right way.
  • we want to publish a first "real", productive version as soon as possible
  • we can imagine that we incrementally extend the first productive version. This means that the first version does not have to include all features and all parts of the data model.
  • our development speed significantly depends on the number and the commitment of the participating developers. At the moment this is only me. That is (better: will become) really a key factor. Before you turn around and say "good bye, another one-developer-project", think again. We are actively doing everything to make it possible for developers to get into the project. And it has never been so easy: I don't know any other gaming database whose source code is completely open source. So let's hope that the "mobygames effect" will convince some more developers to help Oregami.
So to come back to your question:
If we can get two or three more active developers aboard, it could (that's my opinion) be possible to have a "running, productive" version with the major features in about 1 or 1,5 years. Again, for everybody who says "that's too slow" or "that's too late": I would be happy if we could get there more quickly, but we have complex, important technical things to do. If we don't execute these tasks appropriately, it will have bad consequences later for all of us.
I do understand that, and even my my current eagerness to contribute, I'll stay patient :P In the meantime, I will accumulate data with screenshot of sources for the games I own (with the data model, this currently means over 600 Releases that will be covered, probably around 700 - 800 by the time the site is online. ;)
 #37101  by MZ per X
 07 Oct 2013, 19:39
Ultyzarus wrote:In the meantime, I will accumulate data with screenshot of sources for the games I own (with the data model, this currently means over 600 Releases that will be covered, probably around 700 - 800 by the time the site is online. ;)
What a great way to pass the waiting time! :)
 #37103  by Ultyzarus
 07 Oct 2013, 19:47
MZ per X wrote:
Ultyzarus wrote:In the meantime, I will accumulate data with screenshot of sources for the games I own (with the data model, this currently means over 600 Releases that will be covered, probably around 700 - 800 by the time the site is online. ;)
What a great way to pass the waiting time! :)
Haha, I'll try to be thorough and create folders (G) with subfolders (RG) and (R), each with the most info and sources I can find. It'll speed-up the submission process when it's ready.
 #37107  by MZ per X
 07 Oct 2013, 20:03
Ultyzarus wrote:Haha, I'll try to be thorough and create folders (G) with subfolders (RG) and (R), each with the most info and sources I can find. It'll speed-up the submission process when it's ready.
Why not do this in the wiki like described here? ;) The Final Fantasy series (or even one game of it) would be a great test for our model.
 #37108  by Ultyzarus
 07 Oct 2013, 20:12
MZ per X wrote:
Ultyzarus wrote:Haha, I'll try to be thorough and create folders (G) with subfolders (RG) and (R), each with the most info and sources I can find. It'll speed-up the submission process when it's ready.
Why not do this in the wiki like described here? ;) The Final Fantasy series (or even one game of it) would be a great test for our model.
I could try. I have yet to experiment with wikies, so I'm not sure how it works. I actually wanted to do a few of those FF titles as mock-up test pages. The ones I planned on using are Final Fantasy IV, because it was released on the most different platforms; Dissidia Final Fantasy, because I own the most releases for a single platform (with even some pre-order covers and the PSP bundle); and Final Fantasy XI, because it has expansions, Beta releases, and a lot of different compilations. The localized releases of FFXI are always compilations that are equivalent to Japanese ones, but just called Final Fantasy XI...

Also, how do I register to the wiki? The way the X-wings series is made seems easy enough to do a full entry for the FF series...
Last edited by Ultyzarus on 07 Oct 2013, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
 #37109  by MZ per X
 07 Oct 2013, 20:16
That sounds just about fine! :) And don't be afraid of Wikis, our Confluence software works similarly to a text processor, no problem there.
 #37110  by Ultyzarus
 07 Oct 2013, 20:18
MZ per X wrote:That sounds just about fine! :) And don't be afraid of Wikis, our Confluence software works similarly to a text processor, no problem there.
I edited my previous comment by the time you answered XD.

Added question:

Also, how do I register to the wiki? The way the X-wings series is made seems easy enough to do a full entry for the FF series...
 #37111  by gene
 07 Oct 2013, 20:29
Ultyzarus wrote: Also, how do I register to the wiki?
You have to signup to our Jira.
Jira and Confluence (wiki) share the same user base, so this will make it possible for you to login to the Wiki some minutes afterwards as well.
I will have to give you the rights to edit/create pages in the wiki, but that can be done very quickly.
Ultyzarus wrote:The way the X-wings series is made seems easy enough to do a full entry for the FF series...
As Mz per X said: You are welcome to do this, but please do not copy the structure of the X-Wing page. Just use a single Wiki page for the whole game, that's a lot easier.
 #37112  by Ultyzarus
 07 Oct 2013, 20:36
gene wrote:
Ultyzarus wrote: Also, how do I register to the wiki?
You have to signup to our Jira.
Jira and Confluence (wiki) share the same user base, so this will make it possible for you to login to the Wiki some minutes afterwards as well.
I will have to give you the rights to edit/create pages in the wiki, but that can be done very quickly.
Ultyzarus wrote:The way the X-wings series is made seems easy enough to do a full entry for the FF series...
As Mz per X said: You are welcome to do this, but please do not copy the structure of the X-Wing page. Just use a single Wiki page for the whole game, that's a lot easier.
Ok, I signed-up!
 #37116  by gene
 07 Oct 2013, 21:04
Ultyzarus wrote:I started a page to test it, it appears the Japanese fonts don't show...
You mean these Japanese fonts?

Seem to work for me.