Open Registry of Game Information 

• Developer's diary

• All things about Java, JavaScript, HTML, Git, whatever is useful for developers.
All things about Java, JavaScript, HTML, Git, whatever is useful for developers.

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37508  by idrougge
 18 Nov 2013, 03:22
gene wrote:
idrougge wrote:I have a question:
1) Will I, with my antiquated PPC Macs, be able to contribute?
2) Will I be able to contribute without the computer going on its knees to keep up with modern 500-thread javascripts?
1) Which Browser (version) runs on that computer?
Safari 4.1.3.
 #37845  by gene
 13 Jan 2014, 19:06
I just committed some changes from the least weeks/months, mostly in the server code but also the corresponding changes on the client side.

The main tings I coded are GameTitles, GameToGameTitleConnections and some BaseList-Types (GameEntryType, TitleType). So now I am able to store GameTitle objects (independent from Game objects) and connect the GameTitle objects to Game data. And display it someway on the client.

I added some titles for "Monkey Island", "Resident Evil" and "X-Wing", which are of different title types (MAIN_TITLE and ABBREVIATION). One title is in Japanese ans has a standard transliteration. A simple, prototypical display can be seen here (try mouseover on the japanese title).

The Server answer to the REST call can be seen here.

Yay!
 #37846  by MZ per X
 14 Jan 2014, 11:19
gene wrote:The main tings I coded are GameTitles, GameToGameTitleConnections and some BaseList-Types (GameEntryType, TitleType). So now I am able to store GameTitle objects (independent from Game objects) and connect the GameTitle objects to Game data. And display it someway on the client.
So far, so great! :D

This brings me to the question on how to handle string translations in the data model. I think there is a built-in way to do this in one of the frameworks used, so we don't need to define every string field for every data language. ;)

So should we mark every string in question as "translateable" in our final data model documentations?
 #37847  by gene
 14 Jan 2014, 18:32
MZ per X wrote:So should we mark every string in question as "translateable" in our final data model documentations?
Could you give some examples? I don't get what you mean...
 #37851  by MZ per X
 14 Jan 2014, 21:55
I mean that some properties of the type "string" need to be translateable, and some not. For instance, when we start with German and English as our first data languages, we will need the possibility to save every "Description" field in both languages, while things like "Oregami Standard Translation" are the same in every language.
 #37857  by gene
 21 Jan 2014, 06:07
News from the Client Side:
  • I switched from manuel HTTP-calls via $http to Restangular. This results in a great simplification of the code that calls the REST urls !
  • despite the "mobygames ajax spinner hell" I decided to include the angular-loading-bar. It detects HTTP calls made by javascript and displays a neat loading bar at the top. Check it out here (click on "games" or "regions"!
  • I changed the default language to English
AngularJS is really fun. Therefore I also bought the ng-book.
 #37889  by gene
 24 Jan 2014, 07:11
This is a day to remember :wink:

I managed for the first time to edit data in the client app and save it to the server!

So check out the new GameTitle-View where you can edit the GameTitles!
Then go to the Games-List and you see the changed title(s).

Of course this is not the way how we will contribute data later "in reality". It's "just" a technical prototype for me to advance with the technologies.
But it works! :D
 #37890  by Ultyzarus
 24 Jan 2014, 15:55
Neat! Shouldn't there be an description of what each title is (Language, for instance?). There seems to be a Chinese title, but it could easily be mistook for a Japanese title ;)

I say that having a field for the transliteration is nice, it prevents us from having a "Japanese title" and "Japanese spelling". Maybe there should also be a "Native pronounciation" field, too (For Kana, Pinyin). In some cases, the Japanese have a different pronounciation from to standard one (shown by furigana above the Kanji). And it also helps doublecheck that the transliteration is correct. :)
 #37891  by gene
 24 Jan 2014, 18:38
Ultyzarus wrote:Neat! Shouldn't there be an description of what each title is (Language, for instance?). There seems to be a Chinese title, but it could easily be mistook for a Japanese title ;)
Yeah, of course every GameTitle will have a Language as you can see here. It's just not implemented yet.

About the "Native pronounciation" - interesting idea, we could do this later - the next "big" thing I would like to get managed is the editing of 1-n-associations.
 #37893  by gene
 24 Jan 2014, 19:45
Ultyzarus wrote:Which is?
Nothing with GameTitles - but feel free to pic any 1-n-association from our data model (oh, the numbers 1..n are still missing). For example Game-->ReleaseGroup or Game-->GameToGameTitleConnection or ReleaseGroup-->Release. It's just technically more complicated than "edit one standalone object".
 #37895  by MZ per X
 26 Jan 2014, 19:51
gene wrote:I managed for the first time to edit data in the client app and save it to the server!
Greight stuff!!! :D

Can't wait to see the 1-n milestone. 8)