Open Registry of Game Information 

• Game Journal - Oregami Edition

• games, games, games
games, games, games

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37722  by Rola
 10 Dec 2013, 00:22
Doom was released 20 years ago! (I feel so old!) I wonder if any gaming sites will care to mention this? MobyGames has "on this day" section, but such important anniversary is buried in info about some Japanese ports etc.

I was playing Doom 1 & 2 for the past weeks to celebrate this... it can still surprise or scare you if you can focus properly.
 #37724  by MZ per X
 10 Dec 2013, 21:17
Ah, the memories. Back on my old 386 I had a strange sound problem somehow which meant either playing Doom full size without sound, or play it stamp size with sound. :) I still enjoyed it to great extent.
 #37730  by hsssh
 11 Dec 2013, 09:32
Rola wrote:Doom was released 20 years ago! (I feel so old!) I wonder if any gaming sites will care to mention this? MobyGames has "on this day" section, but such important anniversary is buried in info about some Japanese ports etc.

I was playing Doom 1 & 2 for the past weeks to celebrate this... it can still surprise or scare you if you can focus properly.
Gamasutra mentioned it: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1882 ... mortem.php

Maybe some other sites mentioned it too.
 #37778  by Patrick
 18 Dec 2013, 23:20
The Walking Dead: 400 Days / The Walking Dead: Season Two - Episode 1 / The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1 - 400 Days is a good DLC, the first episode of the second season has about the same quality as the first season. It is more linear, a bit slower (a lot of new characters are introduced) and there are two relatively hamfisted shock moments. The Wolf Among Us is amazing because it has a great atmosphere and no zombies. The whole setting is just fantastic.

Baldurs Gate II: Enhanced Edition - This was my seventh or eight playthrough of BGII. I guess I like it. The new NPCs (three of them are known from BG:EE and the fourth is completely new) are OK and their new associated quests are mostly good. To be honest, the best part of the new NPC are the raving homophobic idiots on the official forum. Unfortunately all the new content makes the game too long for me and I cheated my way through the second half of ToB. I know how to beat those fights but I just couldn't stand it anymore. ToB can be pretty boring at times, especially if you played it a lot of times. It is only the known content I was bored of and not the game mechanics itself as evidenced by the next game I started...

Planescape: Die Traumfängerin - This is a German modification for Neverwinter Nights 2. The writing and characters are solid for a mod, the levels and encounters are well crafted. The only big complain so far (I am in chapter 3 of 6) is that there was an optional dungeon with vampires but no cleric NPC and no temple which removes permanent status effects. So I had to cheat to get rid of my level drain.

I also finished Broken Sword: Angel of Death which I postponed over and over again. The story and characters are interesting, but the controls are just awful. I admit I used the solution a lot just to get it over with. The main reason for this was because I wanted to play Broken Sword 5 (which I backed). I love it. The graphical style is much, much better than the bad 3D graphics of 3 and 4.
 #37812  by MZ per X
 01 Jan 2014, 18:38
Patrick wrote:Baldurs Gate II: Enhanced Edition - This was my seventh or eight playthrough of BGII.
Wow, I'm jealous of all that free time. :D

Over Christmas break, I mainly played bullet hell shooters, especially the Frantic series (part 1, part 2, part 3). Part 3 is, unsurprisingly, the best of the bunch. I'm trying to achieve beating every stage unharmed there, which I managed to do for 21 out of 30 stages until now. The rest is nigh impossible. :)