Open Registry of Game Information 

• Game Journal - Oregami Edition

• games, games, games
games, games, games

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37403  by Patrick
 02 Nov 2013, 18:12
According to the forums description it is not off-topic and I desperately need a new place to whine about videogames. The games I finished since MobyGames was assassinated:

Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded: Well, it is exactly what I expected. Humour which perfectly speaks to my inner 13-year-old with some bad puzzles and awful woman portraits around it.

Drakensang: River of Time and Phileasson's Secret: I enjoyed this game much more than its predecessor. It is basically the same with many improvements, but unfortunately also the same uninspired dungeons (at least the worst is optional, I think). Phileasson on the other hand is a pretty boring slog of fighting.

Cognition: This game rocks. I finished the four episodes in two sittings and had a lot of fun. Its main problems are some inconsistencies in puzzle design and a few handling problems. I also had major graphical bugs, especially in episode 2.

Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360): Your standard GTA game in a Western setting. Like alwaysit is a lot of fun but also has the usual problems like useless mini games and stupid whack-the-mole shooting (even worse than GTA IV because of gamepad controls). At least they had the good sense to include fast travel. I was one of those PC gamers which always whined about the fact that the game did not appear on my platform of choice. In hindsight, I shouldn't have, it is not that good. Just play Bully instead.

Recently I started to play some Deus Ex mods. The only one I played before is The Nameless Mod which is just as awesome as the original.

Burden of 80 Proof: This is not really Deus Ex, it is more a short interactive story. Pretty OK, but the action sequences feel superimposed and unnecessary.

Hotel Carone: This one is pretty good. It is centered around a big level representing a hotel. This level feels just right, even if the actual hotel floors are the almost identical (like in reality, I presume) and not very exciting. The level after is stupid (a trigger-happy NPC follows you around) and the one after that (a warehouse) is pretty good. Unfortunately the story does not make a lot of sense (why does UNATCO have a new HQ all of a sudden?).

Nihilum: This mod was released in early 2013. I finished the first main area and I like it so far. Feels like Deus Ex. The voice acting (especially the main character) is atrocious, though.

Because the developers of the new Thief game desperately want me to hate their game, I downloaded the new standalone version of The Dark Mod. I had not the time to play it yet.
 #37407  by Rola
 03 Nov 2013, 10:08
I know how you feel...

I've finished old Castles 2 with special ending... to give you a hint: "The Pope! How many divisions has he got?" :twisted:

Flash game BattleCry offers interesting feature: you assemble your army and pit it against the enemy... the details are the fun part: you need to equip your men - weapons, armor, shields... all under the point limit. Did I mention the equipment are collectibles? Available in random packs? Ah, those tricky developers!
 #37410  by MZ per X
 04 Nov 2013, 10:30
Patrick wrote:According to the forums description it is not off-topic and I desperately need a new place to whine about videogames.
A new Game Jorunal thread at Oregami! :D
Patrick wrote:Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded: Well, it is exactly what I expected. Humour which perfectly speaks to my inner 13-year-old with some bad puzzles and awful woman portraits around it.
Quite frankly, I never imagined you'd still play such stuff. ;)
Patrick wrote:Drakensang: River of Time and Phileasson's Secret: I enjoyed this game much more than its predecessor. It is basically the same with many improvements, but unfortunately also the same uninspired dungeons (at least the worst is optional, I think).
Could you elaborate on this one? I enjoyed Drakensang and am interested in your view of what has improved in River of Time.

As for me, I don't have much time to play, so I play mostly short sessions with Flash games and on emulators. I'm currently trying to beat the hard mode on Doeo, which is one of these fun, one-of-a-kind, weird Japanese games. Then I play some Royal Offense, which is a simple upgrade real-time strategy game, but I like it. Yesterday, I took an Arcade blast from the past, and gave myself a round of Shock Troopers on MAME. Crash Boom Bang!:)

Oh, and my oldest son begged me to play a cool Star Wars game, so I installed the first Knights of the Old Republic. I have to admit that I really enjoy watching him play it. :)
 #37411  by MZ per X
 04 Nov 2013, 13:33
Rola wrote:Flash game BattleCry offers interesting feature: you assemble your army and pit it against the enemy... the details are the fun part: you need to equip your men - weapons, armor, shields... all under the point limit. Did I mention the equipment are collectibles? Available in random packs? Ah, those tricky developers!
This looks interesting, I think I will try it. But I'm done with that MMO games where you can only win when buying extras, so I will play it single. :)
 #37412  by Patrick
 04 Nov 2013, 13:53
MZ per X wrote:Could you elaborate on this one? I enjoyed Drakensang and am interested in your view of what has improved in River of Time.
The plot is a more personal, regional story and not the old, tired "save the world from evil x". The party members have much more personality (the downside is that there are less of them) which is very good for the atmosphere, along with the new full voice acting. Another positive point is the new fast travel option: on every map there are a few fast travel points from which the player can instantly teleport to another fast travel point of the same map. Another downside of the original Drakensang was that most maps where unavailable after their plot was finished - this time all maps are always available after being unlocked and even have new side quests over the course of the game. There are also more uses for social skills.
MZ per X wrote:Oh, and my oldest son begged me to play a cool Star Wars game, so I installed the first Knights of the Old Republic. I have to admit that I really enjoy watching him play it. :)
Knights of the Old Republic II is much, much better, though.
 #37414  by Rola
 04 Nov 2013, 15:05
MZ per X wrote:But I'm done with that MMO games
I don't play pay-to-win games either, I just wanted to point out BattleCry's interesting features - last time I recall similar equipment customization was in Age of Rifles 3 unit editor...?

I enjoyed both KotOR parts as a game, but I guess I'd be happier if they didn't pretend "it's STAR WARS!". This setting was even more unstarwarsy than film prequels...
 #37415  by MZ per X
 04 Nov 2013, 17:10
Patrick wrote:
MZ per X wrote:Could you elaborate on this one? I enjoyed Drakensang and am interested in your view of what has improved in River of Time.
The plot is a more personal, regional story and not the old, tired "save the world from evil x". The party members have much more personality (the downside is that there are less of them) which is very good for the atmosphere, along with the new full voice acting. Another positive point is the new fast travel option: on every map there are a few fast travel points from which the player can instantly teleport to another fast travel point of the same map. Another downside of the original Drakensang was that most maps where unavailable after their plot was finished - this time all maps are always available after being unlocked and even have new side quests over the course of the game. There are also more uses for social skills.
Sounds good, I think I will give it some time. The locking of areas in Drakensang wasn't as much a gameplay annoyance to me as it was to many others (besides of being outright stupid), as I tend to finish everything doable in an area anyway. But before I start River of Time I want to finish Venetica (where I'm currently in the basement of the Doge's Palace), and maybe play another Action-RPG as I somehow feel the need to do so. :) Any recommendations? But it's not allowed to have Steam activation, as I don't buy games with that kind of DRM.
Patrick wrote:
MZ per X wrote:Oh, and my oldest son begged me to play a cool Star Wars game, so I installed the first Knights of the Old Republic. I have to admit that I really enjoy watching him play it. :)
Knights of the Old Republic II is much, much better, though.
Yeah, I dug out both from my collection, but let him start with the first part as he's got enough time, and Star Wars mood to play both in a row. :)
Rola wrote:
MZ per X wrote:But I'm done with that MMO games
I don't play pay-to-win games either, I just wanted to point out BattleCry's interesting features - last time I recall similar equipment customization was in Age of Rifles 3 unit editor...?
Okay, then I misunderstood your tricky developers comment. :)
Rola wrote:I enjoyed both KotOR parts as a game, but I guess I'd be happier if they didn't pretend "it's STAR WARS!". This setting was even more unstarwarsy than film prequels...
Unstarwarsy? :D Another new word memorized! It reads a little Polish at first look, doesn't it? ;) But could you explain to someone who's not such a big Star Wars fan, why the KoTOR games are unstarwarsy? Didn't notice.
 #37418  by Rola
 04 Nov 2013, 22:49
MZ per X wrote:tricky developers
If you find my posts on Moby forum, you'll find the articles I linked for MichaelPalin dealing with this business model. I started to play few games in order to study their mechanics. My initial dislike for pay-to-win changed into active opposition (why? they brainwash the gamers into something similar to gambling!).
MZ per X wrote:It reads a little Polish at first look, doesn't it? ;)
If you drop the English accent, yes.
MZ per X wrote:could you explain to someone who's not such a big Star Wars fan, why the KoTOR games are unstarwarsy?
Oh, I wouldn't want to sidetrack this thread with a discussion that's better suited to a dedicated Star Wars forum...

After I returned to Star Wars around 1993, catching up what I missed out in 1980s (you're from DDR, so you'll understand why), even as a teen I realized that the most of the Expanded Universe (books, comics...) is poor ("I can write better fan fiction!"). Even today a fan would ask you "what do you consider as canon?". There would be no such question if they hadn't produce so much fluff, right?
Fans and prequels started to change Star Wars image as early as in 1990s. I call it jedification. I used to think of the Jedi as the first 3 films taught us: noble knights from the past. 10+ years ago my view was changed to "irritating self-righteous sect" - each time I see them I'm turning into an Imperial officer... :wink:

That's why X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Dark Forces are my all-time favorite STAR WARS games. What a coincidence: no Jedi...

After reading stories both from before and after the Galactic Civil War (Yuuzhan Vong? oh please!) I started to analyze "why they don't feel right?".

Now I know. I can't enjoy Star Wars without the Rebellion-Empire struggle.
Otherwise all we're going to get are comic book villains (yet another Dark Jedi?), while the Empire itself is the best enemy: what XXc. man can say a militaristic totalitarian regime sounds improbable or funny?
 #37426  by MZ per X
 05 Nov 2013, 20:37
Rola wrote:
MZ per X wrote:It reads a little Polish at first look, doesn't it? ;)
If you drop the English accent, yes.
:D Here at Oregami we feel so unmobygamesy at times.
Rola wrote:After reading stories both from before and after the Galactic Civil War (Yuuzhan Vong? oh please!) I started to analyze "why they don't feel right?". Now I know. I can't enjoy Star Wars without the Rebellion-Empire struggle. Otherwise all we're going to get are comic book villains (yet another Dark Jedi?), while the Empire itself is the best enemy: what XXc. man can say a militaristic totalitarian regime sounds improbable or funny?
Okay, this I understand. But as far as 13-year-old boys go, running around as a Jedi is just the coolest thing to happen. So let them. :)
 #37432  by Rola
 05 Nov 2013, 21:24
MZ per X wrote:as far as 13-year-old boys go, running around as a Jedi is just the coolest thing to happen
I guess I'm different. What's cooler / more awe-inspiring: running around in bathrobe or this menacing suit?
When I was 13, X-Wing (and soon TIE Fighter) got released and I was reliving my childhood fantasy of being a starfighter pilot... oh, those scary "H fighters" as I called them (not knowing their name) ;)

Fast forward 10+ years and you find such posters... still want to join the Jedi? 8)

Getting back to gaming journal: after completing Wolfenstein 3D ("hard" setting, mind you!) I wanted to give chance to Blake Stone, but found it more irritating than rewarding. Uncool space weapons or colorful campy style weren't the worst, it's constantly lacking ammo or going through one-way door that kills the fun.

Do you like platformers? I never did, so it's a surprise for me to find great platformers nowadays. Go play the 3 parts of cute Flash-based Zombotron (my biggest complaint is that I found it too easy/forgiving).
 #37440  by MZ per X
 06 Nov 2013, 15:21
Rola wrote:Fast forward 10+ years and you find such posters... still want to join the Jedi? 8)
Oh, why not? :)
Rola wrote:Getting back to gaming journal: after completing Wolfenstein 3D ("hard" setting, mind you!) I wanted to give chance to Blake Stone, but found it more irritating than rewarding. Uncool space weapons or colorful campy style weren't the worst, it's constantly lacking ammo or going through one-way door that kills the fun.
Never played Blake Stone, but I remember having good fun with Catacomb Abyss.
Rola wrote:Do you like platformers? I never did, so it's a surprise for me to find great platformers nowadays. Go play the 3 parts of cute Flash-based Zombotron (my biggest complaint is that I found it too easy/forgiving).
Looks cool, will try it.

I had two days off due to illness, so I could finally finish Venetica, and I have to say it was a satisfying experience. High production values, artistic style and attention to details within a nice setting, a likeable and sexy main character, action-packed battles, some tough decisions to make, the mixture was just right for me. I definitely recommend it.
 #37444  by Patrick
 06 Nov 2013, 16:14
I finished Nihilus and liked it a lot. It really manages to invoke this Deus Ex vibe with its atmosphere and, most importantly, level design. It serves as a good expansion to the original storyline. Most of the voice acting is appropriate for a mod, but the main character is bad. It didn't stop me from enjoying the mod because besides a few exposition scenes, the game is less dialogue heavy than the original. And it is not like the main strength of Deus Ex was its great voice acting... Besides that I only had a few smaller complaints like almost no mails on computers, a few confusing levels - I think it was a poor choice to have the worst maze-like level right at the beginning - and a few areas which are not utilized much. Overall it is almost as good as The Nameless Mod. If you like Deus Ex, you should definitely play this one.

I also played The Stanley Parable, the remake of a Half-Life 2 modification. Funny.
 #37461  by Patrick
 09 Nov 2013, 21:59
Currently I'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut. I'm still in Detroid, so I can't comment on the redesigned boss battles, but the developer commentary is excellent.

Edit: I played the Barrett fight and it is better than before. Still the low point of the game. I recommend sticking to the good old Typhoon tactic.
 #37559  by MZ per X
 20 Nov 2013, 18:22
Some days ago, I beat the story mode of Shatter, which is a nice and stylish Breakout clone. I completely avoided using the shield and the shooting, as these features somehow make the game too easy for my taste. I particularly enjoyed the cool boss battles, and will hack through the game mode "Boss Assault" when I find the time. In this mode you get to battle every boss one after another. :)
 #37641  by MZ per X
 27 Nov 2013, 22:19
MZ per X wrote:I particularly enjoyed the cool boss battles, and will hack through the game mode "Boss Assault" when I find the time.
Done. :) Now I can move on to some other game, but haven't decided, yet.