Open Registry of Game Information 

• Monkey Island series

• games, games, games
games, games, games

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37340  by MZ per X
 27 Oct 2013, 23:29
Patrick wrote:
MZ per X wrote: BTW, do you know whether these Tales games are connected to each other (as in episodic games), or completely stand-alone?
Episodic. At least on PC they were not released separately and have to be bought together.
I came up with a solution for episodic games in the game and release thread.
 #37348  by Katakis
 29 Oct 2013, 06:43
The Monkey Island series is done now, and if there is nothing else that I need to do with my entries, then I'm going to work on Half-Life.

By the way, I accidentally put the "Monkey Island Madness" page under "The Monkey Island Bounty Pack". Can you please move it to the main page?
 #37349  by gene
 29 Oct 2013, 07:52
Katakis wrote:By the way, I accidentally put the "Monkey Island Madness" page under "The Monkey Island Bounty Pack". Can you please move it to the main page?
Done
 #37480  by Katakis
 13 Nov 2013, 07:43
From the Data Model thread:

MZ per X: "Yes, every release of the complete Tales series is a release of every bundled episode, too. So these need to be mirrored."

I'll tell you what. Why don't you do Chapter 1 only, and I can do the rest :D so I know what to do. I know you're really busy with other stuff related to Oregami, so I'm ready for your wrath :-)
 #37561  by MZ per X
 20 Nov 2013, 18:44
Katakis wrote:Why don't you do Chapter 1 only, and I can do the rest :D so I know what to do.
Done. Would be cool if you could do the rest. :)

The compilations of the original series would also need this treatment. Every compilation page should contain the games bundled (like Fred did here, for example), then the compilation releases should be added to each bundled game's page (like I did).
Katakis wrote:I know you're really busy with other stuff related to Oregami, so I'm ready for your wrath :-)
No wrath from my side, I'm here to help. :) And I'm thankful for all your work.
 #37637  by Katakis
 27 Nov 2013, 10:44
MZ per X wrote: The compilations of the original series would also need this treatment. Every compilation page should contain the games bundled (like Fred did here, for example), then the compilation releases should be added to each bundled game's page (like I did).
done
 #37640  by MZ per X
 27 Nov 2013, 22:12
Katakis wrote:
MZ per X wrote: The compilations of the original series would also need this treatment. Every compilation page should contain the games bundled (like Fred did here, for example), then the compilation releases should be added to each bundled game's page (like I did).
done
Cool, this is really getting somewhere! :)

Question: Did all those Tales release contain all 5 episodes?
 #37654  by Katakis
 29 Nov 2013, 13:48
MZ per X wrote:Cool, this is really getting somewhere! :)
What needs to be done next? If there isn't anything else, then perhaps you won't mind me adding Half-Life and King's Quest next. :D
Question: Did all those Tales release contain all 5 episodes?
Yes, and I have covered all the episodes.
 #37691  by MZ per X
 03 Dec 2013, 22:28
Katakis wrote:What needs to be done next?
Next thing would be researching the different released versions of the first game. The German Wikipedia entry states that the following versions were released:
1) Initial EGA version (Atari / Mac / DOS)
2) VGA version for DOS
3) Amiga version based on 1)
4) Enhanced CD-Audio edition for DOS (using the engine of the second game)

At a glimpse, it looks like that could mean three different release groups for DOS. Furthermore, there's hints that the Monkey Island Bounty Pack contained enhanced versions of the games.

Would you dare to research the differences of the released versions, and if they'd account for different RG's? :) More information can be found here.

Katakis wrote:If there isn't anything else, then perhaps you won't mind me adding Half-Life and King's Quest next. :D
I won't mind. :) Please just do what interests you.
 #37717  by Katakis
 07 Dec 2013, 02:46
I was thinking long and hard about the MI entry, and in my opinion, we have two many RGs. I was thinking we could shrink them down to just 2 or 3 entries, to cover only the multiple engines the game uses (Scumm v4 and v5), according to this page.

According to here: The Amiga / ST / DOS versions all use v4, while the Mac / Sega CD / and DOS CD use v5.

So, an example would be:

> Release Group: SCUMM v4
---> Release: The Secret of Monkey Island (Amiga)
---> Release: The Secret of Monkey Island (DOS / CGA release)
---> Release: The Secret of Monkey Island (DOS / Atari ST / EGA release)
---> Release: The Secret of Monkey Island (DOS / VGA release)
-------> Compilation Release: Monkey Island Madness

> Release Group: SCUMM v5
---> Release: The Secret of Monkey Island (DOS CD-ROM release)
-------> Compilation Release: The Monkey Island Bounty Pack
---> Release: The Secret of Monkey Island (Mac release)
---> Release: The Secret of Monkey Island (SEGA CD release)
---> Release: The Secret of Monkey Island (FM-Towns release)

This structure would make sense because we can include in its release's rap sheet that version's screenshots and main differences when we get around to it.
Also, according to the second link, two Demo versions of the game are known to exist: The "Passport to Adventure" compilation and the PC Gamer release)

So, the result could be:

> Release Group: Demo DOS
---> Release: The Secret of Monkey Island (Demo / Passport to Adventure)
---> Release: The Secret of Monkey Island (Demo / PC Gamer)

If this structure is to your satisfaction, then I will do the same with the rest of the games.
Just my 2 cents.
 #37732  by MZ per X
 11 Dec 2013, 21:59
Katakis wrote:I was thinking long and hard about the MI entry, and in my opinion, we have two many RGs. I was thinking we could shrink them down to just 2 or 3 entries, to cover only the multiple engines the game uses (Scumm v4 and v5), according to this page.
Good research! :) Your reasoning is correct, as RG's are there to document the different main versions of a game. But, unfortunately, your proposal won't work out. We need at least one RG per platform, because we need to be able to fully separate the different platforms from each other. What's possible is more than one RG per platform.

So, according to the first link, I'd see the following RG's of MI for DOS (I wouldn't call them after the SCUMM version, cause that's something the casual gamer is not familiar with.):
> Release Group: Initial floppy version (DOS)
> Release Group: Floppy VGA version (DOS)
> Release Group: Enhanced CD version (DOS)
Katakis wrote:Also, according to the second link, two Demo versions of the game are known to exist: The "Passport to Adventure" compilation and the PC Gamer release)
Interesting! Would you download and play these demos using DosBox, so we know about their differences? If the two are different from each other, each of them would get its own RG for DOS.

Besides, "Passport to Adventure" is a compilation in itself, which we should document. :)
 #37739  by Katakis
 14 Dec 2013, 03:41
Judging from this screenshot on MobyGames, Monkey Island Madness also includes the enhanced CD version.
MZ per X wrote:Good research! :) Your reasoning is correct, as RG's are there to document the different main versions of a game. But, unfortunately, your proposal won't work out. We need at least one RG per platform, because we need to be able to fully separate the different platforms from each other. What's possible is more than one RG per platform.

So, according to the first link, I'd see the following RG's of MI for DOS (I wouldn't call them after the SCUMM version, cause that's something the casual gamer is not familiar with.):
> Release Group: Initial floppy version (DOS)
> Release Group: Floppy VGA version (DOS)
> Release Group: Enhanced CD version (DOS)
I have updated the wiki entry for the game and included nested RGs, with the changes you suggested.
MZ per X wrote:
Katakis wrote:Also, according to the second link, two Demo versions of the game are known to exist: The "Passport to Adventure" compilation and the PC Gamer release)
Interesting! Would you download and play these demos using DosBox, so we know about their differences? If the two are different from each other, each of them would get its own RG for DOS.

Besides, "Passport to Adventure" is a compilation in itself, which we should document. :)
You can view the comparisons here, along with screenshots, and you can watch it in action here, here, and here.
 #37809  by MZ per X
 01 Jan 2014, 18:30
Katakis wrote:I have updated the wiki entry for the game and included nested RGs, with the changes you suggested.
Looks good, thanks.
Katakis wrote:You can view the comparisons here, along with screenshots, and you can watch it in action here, here, and here.
I moved the page for "Passport to Adventure" under the main series page in the Wiki, and edited the main page to link to it.

Also, I played both the DOS demo, and the demo version contained within "Passport to Adventure", and they are quite different. The PtA version seems like an early demo which was later optimized for the official stand-alone demo. It contains no intro, some different wordings of the dialogues, and, as the main difference, still contains the main street with the prison entrance in it.

I think we should do a new RG for the PtA demo.
 #37938  by Katakis
 14 Feb 2014, 07:50
MZ per X wrote:Also, I played both the DOS demo, and the demo version contained within "Passport to Adventure", and they are quite different. The PtA version seems like an early demo which was later optimized for the official stand-alone demo. It contains no intro, some different wordings of the dialogues, and, as the main difference, still contains the main street with the prison entrance in it.
In that case, I suggest:

Release Group: Demo DOS
-> Passport to Adventure (Demo)
 #37939  by MZ per X
 16 Feb 2014, 21:20
Katakis wrote:In that case, I suggest:
Release Group: Demo DOS
-> Passport to Adventure (Demo)
Yes, something like that, thanks. :)