Open Registry of Game Information 

• Monkey Island series

• games, games, games
games, games, games

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37125  by Katakis
 08 Oct 2013, 08:08
I added the Monkey Island series, and included Monkeys 1-4, Tales, and Special Editions, as well as MI compilations. I used Fred's Final Fantasy page as a template to cover the release groups/releases page.

Have a look, and if there is anything you don't agree with, just edit it.
 #37130  by MZ per X
 08 Oct 2013, 20:42
Katakis wrote:Have a look, and if there is anything you don't agree with, just edit it.
Cool stuff, thanks! :)

I took the liberty to edit some:

1) Re-arranged the "start page" a bit.
2) Moved the demo and special edition of MI 1 to the sub page, and created the RGs there for these.
3) Deleted the special edition of MI 2, for the same reason.
4) Deleted the Tales of MI (Deluxe Edition), as its only a new R of the normal compilation.

Please go ahead, there's much fun to be had! :)
 #37146  by Katakis
 09 Oct 2013, 12:10
Well, if by "fun" you mean uploading a description of the game, screenshots, credits, etc., then they would have been slapped in the wiki by the time you read this.

I submitted description, screenshots, and credits for the Secret of Monkey Island (North America). The screenshot have 640x480 resolution, which is strange because the original resolution was 320x200, but Boxer captured it at the 640w resolution.

I made that page a 2-column layout, with the right column reserved for any box scans. I don't have the original cover, but I don't know what your stance on using covers from other sources is.

As for the credits, it is a list of exactly what appears in the game/manual; the people involved are MobyLinked for now.
 #37147  by Ultyzarus
 09 Oct 2013, 14:49
If you want to add the romanization of "モンキー・アイランド ユーレイ海賊大騒動", it's "Monkey Island Yūrei: Kaizoku Ōsōdō"
 #37158  by MZ per X
 09 Oct 2013, 19:55
Katakis wrote:Well, if by "fun" you mean uploading a description of the game, screenshots, credits, etc., then they would have been slapped in the wiki by the time you read this.
By "fun", I mean researching all the different releases and put them into our data model. The X-Wing series had me up several nights, before I finally understood its release history. :)
Katakis wrote:I submitted description, screenshots, and credits for the Secret of Monkey Island (North America). The screenshot have 640x480 resolution, which is strange because the original resolution was 320x200, but Boxer captured it at the 640w resolution. I made that page a 2-column layout, with the right column reserved for any box scans. I don't have the original cover, but I don't know what your stance on using covers from other sources is.
Thanks so far for your efforts, they're really appreciated. As I told Ultyzarus in the FF thread, please just omit pictures for now, as they are not really important at this stage. What's important is researching all the relases of all the games, and put them into the model of G, RG, and R to identify eventual problems.
Katakis wrote:As for the credits, it is a list of exactly what appears in the game/manual; the people involved are MobyLinked for now.
Wow, lots of work. :o The people credits we discussed down to the deepest corner cases already in the German forum (with Patrick). I think, we found some good solutions there, so people credits will be one of the early features to get implemented, I hope. Will write an English summary when I find the time.
 #37168  by Katakis
 11 Oct 2013, 08:35
I just noticed a whole bunch of "Release: "'s for the Special Edition RGs, I thought that you would leave it up to me to fill these in. I already did the one for XBox 360. I hope that what I did is okay with you.

With the iPhone/iPad ones, wouldn't it be better to just merge them into a "iOS" RG?
Ultyzarus wrote:If you want to add the romanization of "モンキー・アイランド ユーレイ海賊大騒動", it's "Monkey Island Yūrei: Kaizoku Ōsōdō"
Done
 #37170  by MZ per X
 11 Oct 2013, 10:15
Katakis wrote:I just noticed a whole bunch of "Release: "'s for the Special Edition RGs, I thought that you would leave it up to me to fill these in. I already did the one for XBox 360. I hope that what I did is okay with you.
It's perfectly fine. What I did was just creating the release groups for the Special Edition inside the page for MI 1, to give you an example on how such a remake is handled inside our data model. I didn't add releases. Didn't want to step on your toes with this, or confuse you, just help a bit to get you started. :)
Katakis wrote:With the iPhone/iPad ones, wouldn't it be better to just merge them into a "iOS" RG?
Not sure, I'm not very familiar with Apple's ecosystem. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
 #37171  by Ultyzarus
 11 Oct 2013, 13:00
MZ per X wrote:
Katakis wrote:With the iPhone/iPad ones, wouldn't it be better to just merge them into a "iOS" RG?
Not sure, I'm not very familiar with Apple's ecosystem. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
The iPod, iPhone and iPad generally seem to use the same files, but the compatibility varies, and often iPad has a later release. I'm not too familiar with these either, but I'd also make one RG for iOS. Actually they seem to work about the same way as the PSOne classics from the PlayStation Network, same file for different platform using the same or similar OS.
 #37178  by MZ per X
 13 Oct 2013, 02:33
Ultyzarus wrote:I'm not too familiar with these either, but I'd also make one RG for iOS.
Okay, let's do it this way, then.
 #37210  by Katakis
 16 Oct 2013, 07:06
Update: I finally completed the first four original MI games.

Notes:

- Most of the information are sourced from cover art images posted on MobyGames
- On the MI2 page, the Chinese title (猴島小英雄2:李察克的復仇) either translates to "Monkey Island small hero 2" (translate.reference.com) or "Monkey Island Hero 2: Revenge of Li Chake". (Google Translation). If I have to choose between the two, I would go for the second one since that is much more realistic.
- On the CMI page, Oceania includes the AUS/NZ releases, while Europe includes the releases for most Euro countries.
- Can't find anything on the browser version of "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition". The only thing I could find is a Java version of the original, which you can play online but requires a plug-in, which is useless on my system.

If you find any errors in the Rs, let me know.
 #37249  by MZ per X
 20 Oct 2013, 19:25
Katakis wrote:Update: I finally completed the first four original MI games.
Great, thanks so much. :D I hope I'll find the time to go through the data soon.
Katakis wrote:- Can't find anything on the browser version of "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition". The only thing I could find is a Java version of the original, which you can play online but requires a plug-in, which is useless on my system.
Checked it out, you can indeed play the original game within your browser there. Seems to work via a browser dosbox implementation somehow. We should add this to our release list, too.

As regards the browser release of the Special Edition: could it be they mean the swordplay game on its official website? Not sure, would be an error at Mobygames then.

BTW, do you know whether these Tales games are connected to each other (as in episodic games), or completely stand-alone?
 #37252  by Patrick
 20 Oct 2013, 19:52
MZ per X wrote: BTW, do you know whether these Tales games are connected to each other (as in episodic games), or completely stand-alone?
Episodic. At least on PC they were not released separately and have to be bought together.
 #37272  by Katakis
 22 Oct 2013, 07:11
MZ per X wrote:As regards the browser release of the Special Edition: could it be they mean the swordplay game on its official website? Not sure, would be an error at Mobygames then.
Likely so. Before it was released, LucasArts launched their Special Edition page that includes the swordplay game, to keep players occupied while the company was preparing to release it.
 #37283  by MZ per X
 23 Oct 2013, 12:39
Katakis wrote:
MZ per X wrote:As regards the browser release of the Special Edition: could it be they mean the swordplay game on its official website? Not sure, would be an error at Mobygames then.
Likely so. Before it was released, LucasArts launched their Special Edition page that includes the swordplay game, to keep players occupied while the company was preparing to release it.
This would be a promo release then, I guess. Anyone still cares to ask at Mobygames about this issue? :)