Open Registry of Game Information 

• Let's test our data model for games

• games, games, games
games, games, games

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37027  by gene
 02 Oct 2013, 23:25
If you are with us for some time longer, you may know this blog post (there is also a German version).

Well, where did we work out the data model for this game list? Nowhere!
So let's do it together. By doind so we can prove if our data model for games will really work, and we all can become more acquainted with the data model.

We can document everything here in our wiki.
Back then we have started with the X-Wing / Tie Fighter Series and tried it with a hierarchical collection of wiki pages - a bit too much for me.
I would suggest a single Wiki page for every game, and for every game we should investigate the following aspects, always with regard to the UML data model:
  • what are the game titles?
  • what release groups fpr which platforms do exist, how do you seperate them?
  • what are the concrete releases
  • credits: companies and person involved, which role?
As we go along we can extend these documents, e.g. with the genre definition and release dates (when the data model for these aspects has some finished state).

And somebody told me to add Tetris to the list :-)
 #37032  by idrougge
 03 Oct 2013, 12:42
I uploaded an illustration of all contemporary, licenced, ports of the original Tetris. It is a very convoluted affair. But I'm not familiar with this model of Wiki-software, so please help me out.
 #37038  by idrougge
 03 Oct 2013, 14:44
The Soviet IBM PC port was done quickly after the original Elektronika 60 version and added colour and sound. Since it was for a widespread platform, it was what spread to Hungary, where Andromeda first saw it. Thus I trace the rest of the ports to that version.

The rest of the tree follows the licencing paths, where there were several instances of sub-licencing, revoked licences and renewed licences.
 #37099  by Katakis
 07 Oct 2013, 08:14
gene wrote:If you are with us for some time longer, you may know this blog post (there is also a German version).

Well, where did we work out the data model for this game list? Nowhere!
So let's do it together. By doind so we can prove if our data model for games will really work, and we all can become more acquainted with the data model.

We can document everything here in our wiki.
Back then we have started with the X-Wing / Tie Fighter Series and tried it with a hierarchical collection of wiki pages - a bit too much for me.
I would suggest a single Wiki page for every game, and for every game we should investigate the following aspects, always with regard to the UML data model:
  • what are the game titles?
  • what release groups fpr which platforms do exist, how do you seperate them?
  • what are the concrete releases
  • credits: companies and person involved, which role?
As we go along we can extend these documents, e.g. with the genre definition and release dates (when the data model for these aspects has some finished state).

And somebody told me to add Tetris to the list :-)
I looked at the template on the wiki, and if you want, I can have a go adding the Monkey Island series. I can cover the four MI games released from 1990-2000, but I'm not sure whether you want the Tales of Monkey Island games included as well, since they are not retro games.

I don't quite understand what Alliances are.
 #37105  by MZ per X
 07 Oct 2013, 19:58
Katakis wrote:I looked at the template on the wiki, and if you want, I can have a go adding the Monkey Island series.
That would be fantastic! :D This data modelling is important to identify corner cases not yet covered by our model, and it's the groundwork for later reference data sets inside the live database to show its full capabilities.

And researching a full game series is fun! :D
Katakis wrote:I can cover the four MI games released from 1990-2000, but I'm not sure whether you want the Tales of Monkey Island games included as well, since they are not retro games.
The retro status doesn't matter, just include those Tales games if you have the time and patience.
Katakis wrote:I don't quite understand what Alliances are.
Alliance is just the last game in the X-Wing series, nothing more.

On a general note, don't do it as I did. :) Open up one single new wiki page under Testing for the whole series, then identify the game entries we'd need (Every compilation and add-on gets its own game entry, too.). Next, identify the release groups for each game entry according to this thread. While doing this, you can assign titles to the game entries according to this thread. Then you can start adding releases.

If any problems or questions arise, feel free to open a Monkey Island thread here in the game board and throw them at us. :) Have fun!
 #37421  by jotaroraido
 05 Nov 2013, 02:48
idrougge wrote:The Soviet IBM PC port was done quickly after the original Elektronika 60 version and added colour and sound. Since it was for a widespread platform, it was what spread to Hungary, where Andromeda first saw it. Thus I trace the rest of the ports to that version.

The rest of the tree follows the licencing paths, where there were several instances of sub-licencing, revoked licences and renewed licences.
I would personally count at least the Sega, Atari/Tengen, BPS, Nintendo (NES), and Nintendo (GB) versions all as different games, as they're new implementations of the same very basic concept by a different team.

If anyone ever saw the Tetris entry at Moby before it got split up, you'll know what a damn mess it was. I don't want to see that happen again.
 #37427  by MZ per X
 05 Nov 2013, 20:39
jotaroraido wrote:If anyone ever saw the Tetris entry at Moby before it got split up, you'll know what a damn mess it was. I don't want to see that happen again.
Yeah, for board and puzzle games without levels, the different game criteria need to be much tighter.
 #37433  by Ultyzarus
 05 Nov 2013, 21:33
MZ per X wrote:
jotaroraido wrote:If anyone ever saw the Tetris entry at Moby before it got split up, you'll know what a damn mess it was. I don't want to see that happen again.
Yeah, for board and puzzle games without levels, the different game criteria need to be much tighter.
The first criteria for puzzle games must be:
-Available game modes
-Levels (if it applies)
-Upgrades (like in Arkanoid)
-Player Pieces (in Boeard Games)

More trivial criteria could even be the background music.