Open Registry of Game Information 

• Documentation: GamingEnvironment (Platforms)

• Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.
Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37867  by MZ per X
 22 Jan 2014, 21:24
Great, I waited for you to request the platforms! :D

First issue to discuss would be re-using the game title thing for the GamingEnvironments, because these tend to have different titles for different regions, too. If there's no objections, I would adjust the game title model to incorporate platforms, too?
 #37868  by gene
 22 Jan 2014, 21:41
MZ per X wrote:Great, I waited for you to request the platforms! :D

First issue to discuss would be re-using the game title thing for the GamingEnvironments, because these tend to have different titles for different regions, too. If there's no objections, I would adjust the game title model to incorporate platforms, too?
:D

It would be great to have concrete examples for GamingEnvironment, HardwarePlatform and SoftwarePlatform.

Could you also give examples of your mentioned "different namings in different regions" ?
Isn't a connection between "GamingEnvirnment" and "Language" enough?
 #37871  by Ultyzarus
 22 Jan 2014, 22:07
This might help:
http://wiki.oregami.org/display/OR/Final+Fantasy+IV

notice that the North-American SNES release is called Final Fantasy II, and one of the Japanese release for the same platform is Final Fantasy IV Easy Type. All other titles are Final Fantasy IV (except some being spelled in Japanese kana)

I believe it is one of the games that has been released on the most platforms...
 #37872  by gene
 22 Jan 2014, 22:15
Ultyzarus wrote:This might help:
http://wiki.oregami.org/display/OR/Final+Fantasy+IV

notice that the North-American SNES release is called Final Fantasy II, and one of the Japanese release for the same platform is Final Fantasy IV Easy Type. All other titles are Final Fantasy IV (except some being spelled in Japanese kana)

I believe it is one of the games that has been released on the most platforms...
What you describe is the "different GameTitles for a game in different Regions".

This thread should be about GamingEnvironments (Platforms) and their names.
 #37874  by Ultyzarus
 22 Jan 2014, 22:19
gene wrote: Could you also give examples of your mentioned "different namings in different regions" ?
Isn't a connection between "GamingEnvirnment" and "Language" enough?
Then again, all the other platforms USA titles are Final Fantasy IV.

For a platform-only difference:
http://wiki.oregami.org/display/OR/Final+Fantasy+X

The PS3 version of "Final Fantasy X" / "Final Fantasy X International" is called "Final Fantasy X HD Remaster"

:)

(Not sure if that helps...)
 #37875  by MZ per X
 22 Jan 2014, 22:28
gene wrote:Could you also give examples of your mentioned "different namings in different regions" ?
Prime examples of this are the Sega Mega Drive (Sega Genesis in North America), and the NES / SNES (Famicon / Super Famicon in Japan).
gene wrote:Isn't a connection between "GamingEnvirnment" and "Language" enough?
Hmm, thinking about it, the titling of platforms isn't as complex as that of games. So, a connection between GamingEnvironment and Region should be sufficient, I guess.

For further complexity, we should also add more such connections to HW and SW platform, and HW and SW sub-platform, I suppose. :)
 #37881  by MZ per X
 22 Jan 2014, 22:51
Ultyzarus wrote:What about the different versions of Genesis? Genesis 3, Sega Master System, etc.?
Master System is the predecessor of the Genesis, like the NES is for the SNES, right? Genesis 3 would be a sub-platform (i.e. a model) of the Genesis.

So, the data model would look like this:

-GamingEnvironment
--HW platform / SW platform
---HW sub-platform

-Sega Genesis
--Sega Genesis / Console OS
---Sega Genesis 2
---Sega Genesis 3
---JVC Wondermega
---JVC Wondermega 2
--- etc.
 #38002  by MZ per X
 07 Apr 2014, 20:13
So, the wiki page about gaming environments approaches completion. One thing is missing:

i18n of GE / platform names

We discussed this to some detail, and have quite some "regional strings" in there right now. But with all this translation / transliteration stuff at hand, I don't think this is worthwhile any more. So, what's your suggestion here, gene? We need the names of the GE's, hard- and software platforms, and hard- and software sub-platforms internationalized. :)
 #38139  by Ultyzarus
 11 Sep 2014, 17:26
Ugh, I wish we had your data model at MobyGames right now XD. I have started documenting the Skylanders franchise, and the release data is quite messy. These figures are compatible with all the platforms that the games exist for (if the character exist in that game), and each figure often has many released date as they progressively become available at different retailers. Anyway I have all the research done, so it's another thing I"ll be able to contribute here as well when the time comes! ;)