Open Registry of Game Information 

• Documentation: Game Titles

• Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.
Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37826  by gene
 05 Jan 2014, 20:06
I have a question:

What are these attributes in the Connection between Game and GameTitle exactly for?

Time Period Start
Time Period End
 #37827  by MZ per X
 05 Jan 2014, 21:11
gene wrote:What are these attributes in the Connection between Game and GameTitle exactly for?
Time Period Start
Time Period End
There seem to be games that have been released under one title, and then under a different title later on. But now that you mention it again, I don't really see the point of this any more. To make these information worthwhile, we'd need the age of the user to show him / her the title of his / her time period, when viewing a game, or list of games, wouldn't we?
 #37829  by MZ per X
 05 Jan 2014, 22:03
The connection between Game and GameTitle serves 2 purposes:

1) A game can be found within the database via a title search. For this, we'd only need to assign pure titles to the game, without additional properties.

2) The "right" title is shown to the user at every place where titles appear. For this, these time frame properties are not necessary, I think, as we won't consider titles based on the age of the user.

Or am I missing something here? Will there be a view where a title is shown for 1986, or 1996? :? Or will we offer an "all titles view" for a game?
 #37830  by gene
 05 Jan 2014, 22:05
MZ per X wrote:But now that you mention it again, I don't really see the point of this any more. To make these information worthwhile, we'd need the age of the user to show him / her the title of his / her time period, when viewing a game, or list of games, wouldn't we?
Well. for such a thing we could use the release dates of the Releases and let the user decide to set a preference like "Use release titles from Releases after 1995 as default display titles."

So can we remove these two attributes?
 #37832  by MZ per X
 07 Jan 2014, 21:43
gene wrote:
MZ per X wrote:But now that you mention it again, I don't really see the point of this any more. To make these information worthwhile, we'd need the age of the user to show him / her the title of his / her time period, when viewing a game, or list of games, wouldn't we?
Well. for such a thing we could use the release dates of the Releases and let the user decide to set a preference like "Use release titles from Releases after 1995 as default display titles."
Yes, we could, but the main drawback is that releases must be in the database for this to work.
gene wrote:So can we remove these two attributes?
So I think we should keep these attributes, but can ignore them for now.
 #37966  by Ultyzarus
 04 Mar 2014, 16:47
With the way Gene has implemented titles, this here won't be an issue anymore:
Ultyzarus wrote:We will also have to define standards for transliteration. I am only familiar with Japanese, so I'll bring my input about it:

The game Shin Dynasty Warriors Gundam:
Japanese title: 真・ガンダム無双
Official transliterated title (on cover): Shin Gundam Musou
http://global.mediagen.fr/shin-dynasty- ... 395141.jpg (tried using a href tag, didn't work)

This could be transliterated in many ways: "Gundam"(right) could be "Gandamu"(wrong) and "Musou" could be "Musō".
In MG, we used to have the "ō" rather than "ou" as a standard, but they are equally correct, we just have to be consistent. What I suggest is using the "ō" standard, but add the official transliteration when available (if it uses a different system).

So we'd have:
Japanese title: 真・ガンダム無双
Japanese transliteration: Shin Gundam Musō
Official Japanese transliteration: Shin Gundam Musou

I think we should at all cost avoid the likes of Fainaru Fantajii (Final Fantasy) and Gandamu...
Since we will have a displayed title that is: "真・ガンダム無双 (Shin Gundam Musō)"
and another that will be: "Shin・Gundam Musou"

:D
 #38502  by MZ per X
 04 Jul 2018, 20:14
Sorry for the late reply, but I was quite busy with other things.

I think this list will do for a start, but I'm no hardware expert. I have serious trouble imagining a re-release or budget title, though. :)
 #38508  by gene
 04 Jul 2018, 21:23
MZ per X wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 20:14
Sorry for the late reply, but I was quite busy with other things.

I think this list will do for a start, but I'm no hardware expert. I have serious trouble imagining a re-release or budget title, though. :)
What about the TheC64Mini ? Isn't that a Re-Release title?

We could use the titles later on with the Hardware Sub-Platforms.
 #38509  by MZ per X
 04 Jul 2018, 21:47
gene wrote:
What about the TheC64Mini ? Isn't that a Re-Release title?
Wow, I thought that was fantasy! :D OTOH, Sam's Journey is selling quite well.

And yes, that would probably be a re-release.
gene wrote:
This leaves me in doubt whether we should do the title type at GE level at all. Shouldn't we just assign the titles itself ot the GE, and do the title type at a deeper layer?
 #38510  by gene
 05 Jul 2018, 21:57
MZ per X wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 21:47
gene wrote:
This leaves me in doubt whether we should do the title type at GE level at all. Shouldn't we just assign the titles itself ot the GE, and do the title type at a deeper layer?
Oh. Well. Great.
What now? Throw away the title usages on GE layer and redefine it with HardwarePlatforms? :shock:
 #38511  by MZ per X
 07 Jul 2018, 10:28
gene wrote:Oh. Well. Great.
Yeah, but take a look at this page where I collected some HWPs and sub-platforms. If we do it like it is now, we will need to assign all these sub-platform titles at GE level with title type. That seems pointless.
gene wrote:What now? Throw away the title usages on GE layer and redefine it with HardwarePlatforms? :shock:
No, don't throw away. :) I have another suggestion:

Let's just do two title types at GE level:

1) Display title
These are the titles for the GE itself. The GE doesn't have a release title or something like this per se, because most of the time it is a collection of many different models. So let's just accept display titles like I used them in my blog post, e.g. "Amiga" or "MS Windows PC".

2) Titles for further usage (better name needed)
These are the titles that will be used later on for HWP, and especially for sub-platforms. The information whether these are relase titles, re-release titles or whatever should be colleced later, when a title is assigned to a HWP or sub-platform. So the workflow follows our easy--->complex model: First collect all titles at GE level, then assign them with more detailed information.

What do you think?