Open Registry of Game Information 

• what is a game, anyway? (what entries would be allowed)

• Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.
Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37393  by MZ per X
 31 Oct 2013, 23:16
idrougge wrote:On the other hand, it opens a Pandora's box where more and more non-games software can slither into the database because of earlier precedent set by other non-games.
But that's exactly what the strict rules shall prohibit. Maybe add one more: just allow non-games when every game is documented.
idrougge wrote:The above case aside, I would prefer not to see PC dress-up games and screensavers included, because they open the door to so much more, including spreadsheets, word processors and paint programs.
Spreadsheets and word processors? Indeed, if one day a keyboard can be connected to a gaming console, thus turning it into a PC, we will have reached a turning point.

But let me get back to that dress-up games. Just today, I watched my 5-year-old daughter play one, it was this here. (Please play it for the sake of discussion! :D ) She proudly showed me every step she mastered, and the beautiful end result she achieved. Just like a gamer would in every "real" video game. And that's the deeper issue behind this. We should avoid the arrogance of grown-ups, turning down every game with lower interactivity, or no real game goal, as not being games. They are, they're just not for us. There's "games" even for the youngest of users out there, and as a father of three I vote for opening up for those.
idrougge wrote:Another question is not so much of what is a game, as what is a video game.
To answer this question, I seriously lack knowledge about all these early machines. Could we say that a game needs to generally need electricity to be played, and either a screen, or processor power?
 #37394  by Ultyzarus
 31 Oct 2013, 23:45
MZ per X wrote:
idrougge wrote:On the other hand, it opens a Pandora's box where more and more non-games software can slither into the database because of earlier precedent set by other non-games.
Indeed, if one day a keyboard can be connected to a gaming console, thus turning it into a PC, we will have reached a turning point.
Actually, the PS3, and probably the Xbox 360 can use both a mouse and a keyboard, listen to mp3s, view videos, etc. :P
 #37395  by jotaroraido
 31 Oct 2013, 23:54
MZ per X wrote:But let me get back to that dress-up games. Just today, I watched my 5-year-old daughter play one, it was this here. (Please play it for the sake of discussion! :D ) She proudly showed me every step she mastered, and the beautiful end result she achieved. Just like a gamer would in every "real" video game. And that's the deeper issue behind this. We should avoid the arrogance of grown-ups, turning down every game with lower interactivity, or no real game goal, as not being games. They are, they're just not for us. There's "games" even for the youngest of users out there, and as a father of three I vote for opening up for those.
I don't think it's so much a question of arrogance as it is a question of scope. Like Iggy said, if we let in "entertainment" software like this dress-up thing that clearly isn't a game, where then do we draw the line? Do we add Kid Pix because it's also geared to be primarily fun entertainment for kids? And if we include that, then why not Photoshop? After all, we have Kid Pix which is, in a broad sense, the same thing. And a step further, why not InDesign or Acrobat? After all, they still have creative functions.

And yes, I realize nobody would actually try to stretch the database that far. At least, I hope not...