Open Registry of Game Information 

• Data Model: game and release

• Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.
Talk about specific features of our upcoming online game database.

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37306  by MZ per X
 25 Oct 2013, 16:51
Ultyzarus wrote:Maybe having two separate title fields could be used here. One for the actual title, one for other parts of the title that applies to a R, but not RG (ie. Greatest Hits, International, Collector's Edition, Ultimate Hits, Platinum, etc.)
We already can assign a title to a R, which is mandatory data for a new R entry. The "Collector's Edition" would be added there, not as a game title. Of course, as data modelling is fun, there's other examples where the "edition" is part of the game title. The "Special Editions" of Monkey Island 1 and 2 come to mind.

What we still need to implement is a way to group together special recurring releases like "Collector's Editions", "GOTY-Editions", or series of budget releases.
Ultyzarus wrote:In this specific case, "This edition of Final Fantasy X includes new Sphere Grids, new bosses such as the Dark Aeons, and with a bonus disc filled with special features. The International version is the only version of Final Fantasy X that was released in Europe and for that reason was not tagged with the "International Edition" tag. "
Another perfect example for an RG split. :) I see that you removed the double assignment of one FF X release from the wiki, which makes more sense to me now. Otherwise, if we would have assigned a single R to both the RGs for the Japanese and the International version, it would have meant that this R contains both versions, which would have been strange.

Ultyzarus wrote:
MZ per X wrote:
Ultyzarus wrote:For the PSOne Classics (Digital PlayStation versions), here is how I'd make the R, with each RG it is linked too: http://wiki.oregami.org/pages/viewpage. ... Id=4489360
I think that the PS Vita release needs to be a separate R entry, because otherwise we won't be able to distinguish the release dates between the three platforms. That's because the release date isn't saved with the RG <---> R connection, but elsewhere (R <---> Region). If we'd do a single R for all three platforms, we'd have 2 release dates linked to it, but couldn't show the earlier date for PS3/PSP, and the latter date for PS Vita.
I see, it does make sense that way. I figure there is a way to link the different RGs that are actually the same version of the game?
If it's an emulator R, it would be linked to both the RG for the new platform, and to the old platform's RG. This way, the user can see that the game is released on the new platform, but on the other hand it's also possible to see from the older platform's point of view that this version was re-released on a newer system.

The older platform's RG would then be the link you mentioned. :)
 #37308  by Ultyzarus
 25 Oct 2013, 18:31
MZ per X wrote: I see that you removed the double assignment of one FF X release from the wiki, which makes more sense to me now. Otherwise, if we would have assigned a single R to both the RGs for the Japanese and the International version, it would have meant that this R contains both versions, which would have been strange.
It was a simple copy/paste mistake, as I use existing text to make new entries XD I'll correct everything as I go with the more precise details. I just wonder how I'll manage all those European releases, they're quite hard to track, as the European Square-Enix site is almost useless for this... I guess it'll be an Amazon-fest :mrgreen:
 #37328  by MZ per X
 26 Oct 2013, 16:09
Ultyzarus wrote:I just wonder how I'll manage all those European releases, they're quite hard to track, as the European Square-Enix site is almost useless for this... I guess it'll be an Amazon-fest :mrgreen:
The cover section of Mobygames might also be a good source.
 #37339  by MZ per X
 27 Oct 2013, 23:27
Okay, I consolidated the compilation switch and add-on switch into data list 5 which is now called "Game Entry Type", as I think all these cases are mutually exclusive, and it makes things a little easier.

Then I added 2 new cases there: "Episodic game", and "Episode". Both are designed for episodic games like the Tales of Monkey Island, or Siege of Avalon games, where every episode is stand-alone, but together they built a whole story-driven game.

These cases shall be solved like this:

The "mother game" gets an entry at game level with the game type set to "Episodic game", all episodes get their own entry of type "Episode". Then they're connected using the usual add-on mechanisms, enabling us to either show the whole mother game, or every episode itself to the user. This way, we can even add releases of the whole episodic game to the "mother game" entry.
 #37341  by Ultyzarus
 28 Oct 2013, 01:06
MZ per X wrote:
Ultyzarus wrote:I just wonder how I'll manage all those European releases, they're quite hard to track, as the European Square-Enix site is almost useless for this... I guess it'll be an Amazon-fest :mrgreen:
The cover section of Mobygames might also be a good source.
Yeah, this is how I originally used MG ;) But I was talking about tracking the release dates mostly.
 #37350  by Katakis
 29 Oct 2013, 11:17
MZ per X wrote:Okay, I consolidated the compilation switch and add-on switch into data list 5 which is now called "Game Entry Type", as I think all these cases are mutually exclusive, and it makes things a little easier.

Then I added 2 new cases there: "Episodic game", and "Episode". Both are designed for episodic games like the Tales of Monkey Island, or Siege of Avalon games, where every episode is stand-alone, but together they built a whole story-driven game.

These cases shall be solved like this:

The "mother game" gets an entry at game level with the game type set to "Episodic game", all episodes get their own entry of type "Episode". Then they're connected using the usual add-on mechanisms, enabling us to either show the whole mother game, or every episode itself to the user. This way, we can even add releases of the whole episodic game to the "mother game" entry.
So, let's say for the Monkey Island series, there is an entry called "Tales of Monkey Island" that links to a page containing "Chapter 1" through to "Chapter 5", and clicking on those links take you to a page that has RGs and Rs, like I've done already.

Then the sidebar would read:

> Monkey Island series
> Tales of Monkey Island
. Chapter 1
. Chapter 2
. etc...

Is this right?
 #37382  by idrougge
 31 Oct 2013, 17:26
While it does make sense to treat Dokidoki Panic and SMB2 as one, it is also problematic.

First of all, we have the question of intention. Is it supposed to be the same game? Of course, we have already established that a Gameboy version of a PS2 game is usually not the same game, regardless of intention.
But if Doki^2 Panic was localised as Super Mario Bros 2, and later on re-imported to Japan as Super Mario USA, we have a case of the same game being released in the same market in two very distinct versions. It's not a case of (I'm making up here) Kane's Wrath for PC, which was later re-released as Kane's Wrath: Gold with some changes in 3D models and two new levels. In that case, it stands to reason that both releases are releases or RGs of Kane's Wrath. But if SMB USA is sold in the same shelf as Dokidoki Panic, with all the main graphics replaced, along with the storyline and licencing, I think it must be counted as two games, even though they are closely related.

A second problem is licencing. First we have the technical limitation: Will Oregami have tags and genres assigned at an RG level as well as the mother game level? Because if a tag such as "licenced title" is to be inherited from Mobygames, and if SMB2 and Dokidoki Panic are to be sorted as two RGs of one game, only the latter must carry that tag.
Beside the technical limitations, what makes a licenced title tick is often the licence itself – also a case of intention. I'd like to illustrate this with another game: Astérix/Taz. It's the very same game, only the licenced character (and thereby main sprite and title screen) has changed. It's exactly the same game, but I'd still like to see them treated separately because the main ingredient (the licence) is different.

On a related note, I see little reason to split the Pokémon pairs into distinct games because the differences are minute and the licence is shared.
 #37384  by Ultyzarus
 31 Oct 2013, 17:47
idrougge wrote: On a related note, I see little reason to split the Pokémon pairs into distinct games because the differences are minute and the licence is shared.
I'd also treat the Pokemon games as a single with a difference at R level:
Title 1: Pokemon Blue Version
Title 2: Pokemon Red Version
Title 3: Poket Monster Midori (Japanese only)
Title 4: Pokemon Generation 1 (informal title)

Another title could be

-Pokemon Red and Blue

Now the question would be: Is Pokemon Yellow (GBC) also the same game? And are Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen also the same?
Probably, since (I think) the Only difference between Yellow and the others is The Pikachu Starter and that is on GBC (a different RG) and FireRed and LeafGreen are just enhanced remakes.
 #37398  by MZ per X
 01 Nov 2013, 08:47
Katakis wrote:So, let's say for the Monkey Island series, there is an entry called "Tales of Monkey Island" that links to a page containing "Chapter 1" through to "Chapter 5", and clicking on those links take you to a page that has RGs and Rs, like I've done already.

Then the sidebar would read:

> Monkey Island series
> Tales of Monkey Island
. Chapter 1
. Chapter 2
. etc...

Is this right?
Yes, and I moved the pages in the Wiki accordingly. What would be needed next is mirroring every release of the whole Tales series under every chapter. :shock: If you're in the mood... :D
 #37423  by Katakis
 05 Nov 2013, 12:04
MZ per X wrote:Yes, and I moved the pages in the Wiki accordingly. What would be needed next is mirroring every release of the whole Tales series under every chapter. :shock: If you're in the mood... :D
Depends. By mirror, you mean make each of the RGs have the same R info, rIght?
 #37436  by MZ per X
 05 Nov 2013, 21:54
Katakis wrote:
MZ per X wrote:Yes, and I moved the pages in the Wiki accordingly. What would be needed next is mirroring every release of the whole Tales series under every chapter. :shock: If you're in the mood... :D
Depends. By mirror, you mean make each of the RGs have the same R info, rIght?
Yes, every release of the complete Tales series is a release of every bundled episode, too. So these need to be mirrored.