Open Registry of Game Information 

• New blog entry about game titling

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37898  by MZ per X
 27 Jan 2014, 22:11
I drafted a new blog entry about our approach to game titling, and how other sites are handling this issue.

I would appreciate some proof-reading and fact-checking, if somebody could spare some time. :) Thanks!
 #37899  by Ultyzarus
 28 Jan 2014, 01:15
The first points you make are very important, how this has cause some ridicule issues on other sites. However, I really like having the original title shown by default, so I think this should be one of the options.

I also think each game should have a list of all the different titles associated with it, and then, at R level, pick the title(s) that apply to that specific release, or add a new title to the game. As you have shown that titles are independent entities in Oregami, I'm guessing that was already the plan, or at least something similar.
 #37900  by gene
 28 Jan 2014, 06:23
Ultyzarus wrote:The first points you make are very important, how this has cause some ridicule issues on other sites. However, I really like having the original title shown by default, so I think this should be one of the options.
Well, what is the original title then? If I understand this right, der is no such thing - as long as you don't specify a country, region or language.
Ultyzarus wrote:I also think each game should have a list of all the different titles associated with it, and then, at R level, pick the title(s) that apply to that specific release, or add a new title to the game. As you have shown that titles are independent entities in Oregami, I'm guessing that was already the plan, or at least something similar.
Yes, exactly. But when you choose a title for a (R), then you must also specify the "title location". When you choose a title and connect it to a Game ((G), then you must select the GaminEnvironment and the Region for this connection.
 #37901  by Ultyzarus
 28 Jan 2014, 14:02
Original title would be the first ever release of said game. Of course it would be linked to a region and platform (maybe more than one if they kept the same title over the years), but it is still the original title. What I mean is I'd rather have the Japanese title for a game first made in Japan and a Polish title for a Polish game than having all US titles show-up by default. So it would be nice to have a 1st release title option as well ;)

With recent games, that doesn't really apply, as they are generally released worldwide at once (or almost).

My preference settings would be: 1st release title -> US title -> Japanese title -> French title
 #37903  by MZ per X
 28 Jan 2014, 23:25
Ultyzarus wrote:I also think each game should have a list of all the different titles associated with it, and then, at R level, pick the title(s) that apply to that specific release, or add a new title to the game.
Definitely so. :) It's a must for data consistency.
Ultyzarus wrote:What I mean is I'd rather have the Japanese title for a game first made in Japan and a Polish title for a Polish game than having all US titles show-up by default. So it would be nice to have a 1st release title option as well ;)
Agreed. The title display should definitely be customizable to improve the user experience.
 #37908  by MZ per X
 30 Jan 2014, 22:09
So I adjusted the new blog entry a bit, I'm quite pleased with it now. Fred, would you take the time to iron out the rough edges? :)
 #37909  by Ultyzarus
 30 Jan 2014, 22:45
All seems fine to me :)

Talking about MG's title policy, we have found a few new issues with it, as the title should always be as it appears on the FRONT COVER. So Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3? It shows up as Call of Duty: MW3. Even better, look at this one's title: http://www.mobygames.com/game/ian-flemi ... mputer-gam

We must be sure to address these and have a clear way of copying these titles. Do we use "Disney's" in every Disney licence game's title? Do we use the logotype spelling of Disney's Donald Duck: "Qu@ck Att@ck"?!*"? (http://www.mobygames.com/game/disneys-d ... n-quackers) or other "AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!".
(http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/aaa ... aaa-series)

Do we also use a series name in the titles of the games in this series and have a nice list of numbered titles showing which one is what volume, or skip it? http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/simple-2000-series

We need to address these and know why we choose each solution.
 #37910  by hsssh
 31 Jan 2014, 11:16
There should be an option when user is registering to the site. Something like "Do you want to see titles appropriate for your location?", because frankly while I'm from Europe I really don't care for European release names (asides of historical importance), while browsing database it would be just a distraction and confusion for me since I was always more interested in original releases.

Maybe I missed it but it also doesn't really say what title will be shown for users that haven't registered? Will you try to use their IP to determine their location (not really 100% reliable) or original title?

Also, as I understand in case of Japanese titles, you'll be accepting only transliterations too (like other databases) or original title? Or both?
Talking about MG's title policy, we have found a few new issues with it, as the title should always be as it appears on the FRONT COVER. So Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3? It shows up as Call of Duty: MW3.
Sounds like absurd. http://d1vr6n66ssr06c.cloudfront.net/wp ... endary.jpg So full name of it should be "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition: Dragonborn, Hearthfire, Dawnguard"? Imo only case when title on front cover should be relevant is when you can't find any reliable information about game's release and its title making only source of information its cover.

As far as I understand each company has to register their release name as trademark, no? So technically speaking if that information can be tracked down it should solve the problems of "should we use X or Y".
 #37911  by Ultyzarus
 31 Jan 2014, 14:03
hsssh wrote: Also, as I understand in case of Japanese titles, you'll be accepting only transliterations too (like other databases) or original title? Or both?
As you can see here: http://test.client.oregami.org/#/gameTitles
Any non-latin script title will use the native spelling with a standard transliteration attached to it. So if you have the Japanese title for Dynasty Warriors 6, it will be displayed as "真・三國無双5 (Shin Sangoku Musō 5)".
 #37912  by Independent
 31 Jan 2014, 14:59
Basically, I would say that the title is added as it is published. Example: Railroad Tycoon or Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon? I think Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon is the Corect title.
The game Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in Live and Let Die: The Computer Game is the corect title. The cover says it all clearly.
Disney's Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers is the corect title.
Imo only case when title on front cover should be relevant is when you can't find any reliable information about game's release and its title making only source of information its cover.
I think we should do it if I have understood you correctly.

The corect title is: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition and not "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition: Dragonborn, Hearthfire, Dawnguard"
 #37913  by MZ per X
 31 Jan 2014, 17:05
Ultyzarus wrote:All seems fine to me :)
Okay, thanks, it's live. If anybody still finds corrections, please let us know.
Ultyzarus wrote:Talking about MG's title policy, we have found a few new issues with it, as the title should always be as it appears on the FRONT COVER. So Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3? It shows up as Call of Duty: MW3. Even better, look at this one's title: http://www.mobygames.com/game/ian-flemi ... mputer-gam
hsssh wrote:Sounds like absurd. http://d1vr6n66ssr06c.cloudfront.net/wp ... endary.jpg So full name of it should be "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition: Dragonborn, Hearthfire, Dawnguard"? Imo only case when title on front cover should be relevant is when you can't find any reliable information about game's release and its title making only source of information its cover.
First thing to say about this is that MobyGames needs a "main" title, and a policy for it, which makes this problem worse than with us, where we're working to get rid of this flawed concept for good. So at Oregami, a cover title is just another title at first, and therefore needs to be assigned to the game as any other title needs to be.

The main thing to decide is which assigned title to display in all the data views. And for me, the answer to that question is not necessarily the cover title (For instance, MW3 means MechWarrior 3 in my world. :) ), but the title(s) that people will probably search for, dependent on the region they sit in, the language they speak, or the choosing they make. So, IMHO we'd need to mark some titles as "display title", for use in game lists, and data sheets. In the examples above that would be "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3", "James Bond 007 in Live and Let Die", and "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition" for me.
Ultyzarus wrote:We must be sure to address these and have a clear way of copying these titles. Do we use "Disney's" in every Disney licence game's title? Do we use the logotype spelling of Disney's Donald Duck: "Qu@ck Att@ck"?!*"? (http://www.mobygames.com/game/disneys-d ... n-quackers) or other "AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!". (http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/aaa ... aaa-series)
I'm in favor of preserving the original spelling with an "@" or capital/non-capital combinations. We just need to technically make sure that an "@", and an "A" are both found when a user enters an "a" into our search engine, or are interpreted as an "a" when a game list is sorted by title.
Ultyzarus wrote:Do we also use a series name in the titles of the games in this series and have a nice list of numbered titles showing which one is what volume, or skip it? http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/simple-2000-series
A title with a budget series name in it shouldn't be a display title, I think. Nevertheless, it will be assigned to the game as a re-release title, and therefore will be found via the search, or will be shown as an AKA.
hsssh wrote:There should be an option when user is registering to the site. Something like "Do you want to see titles appropriate for your location?", because frankly while I'm from Europe I really don't care for European release names (asides of historical importance), while browsing database it would be just a distraction and confusion for me since I was always more interested in original releases.
Yes, this whole title display thing needs to be customizable in the end.
hsssh wrote:Maybe I missed it but it also doesn't really say what title will be shown for users that haven't registered? Will you try to use their IP to determine their location (not really 100% reliable) or original title?
Interesting question, we haven't really discussed this, yet. What's your suggestion?
 #37914  by Ultyzarus
 31 Jan 2014, 17:51
MZ per X wrote:
Ultyzarus wrote:All seems fine to me :)
Ultyzarus wrote:Do we also use a series name in the titles of the games in this series and have a nice list of numbered titles showing which one is what volume, or skip it? http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/simple-2000-series
A title with a budget series name in it shouldn't be a display title, I think. Nevertheless, it will be assigned to the game as a re-release title, and therefore will be found via the search, or will be shown as an AKA.
In this case, however, it isn't a budget release title (I wouldn't go for adding each of the Greatest Hits releases with "Greatest Hits" actually in the title) but a series, some of which may be re-releases, but not all of them...