Open Registry of Game Information 

• News and information about other online game databases

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#38219  by hydr0x
 24 Feb 2015, 10:52
MZ per X wrote:
hydr0x wrote:Secondly, we made the core model (basically what's encompassed by RG/R etc. on Oregami) even more complex, adding new abstraction layers. We now have 9 horizontally stacked layers with a few more orthogonal entities.
Interesting, would you mind sharing some more detail? :)
Well, some abstraction levels are due to our concept of release areas/zones (macroregions like North America and Europe), but let me point out a problem with your current R/RG concept (imho!), solving which would require more levels. To me, Remakes and Ports, both of which create new RG here, are not on the same conceptional level.
 #38221  by MZ per X
 27 Feb 2015, 17:01
hydr0x wrote:Archiv.vg update, lots of promises and talk, but the actual site is still awful and doesn't indicate a proper data model at all.
Yes, but I like how the systems reshuffle when you change the options. :)
hydr0x wrote:..., but let me point out a problem with your current R/RG concept (imho!), solving which would require more levels. To me, Remakes and Ports, both of which create new RG here, are not on the same conceptional level.
For most remakes, a new RG is already due because of it being released on a different platform than the original game. But I agree that a remake is more of a creative act than a port, so we should somehow distinguish remakes on a new platform from mere ports, a difference which is missing right now.

But why do we need a new data level for this? Obviously I don't fully understand your problem, would you elaborate?
 #38222  by hydr0x
 27 Feb 2015, 17:58
I was already writing a post mentioning the problems of allowing the same connections and data for both (unless you restrict it in the frontend only, which is a bad idea), but then I realized it's more of a conceptual question. For me, a remake is an abstract concept not yet connected to a specific platform, just like a game. Both can be programmed/ported on multiple systems, but you can say a lot of things about a game or remake without even mentioning the system they are on. Two gamers can discuss a remake like Castle of Illusion, regardless of whether they played it PSN, XBLA or Steam, but they can not discuss the specific properties of the Amiga port of Civilization unless they have both played that exact port.
 #38223  by MZ per X
 27 Feb 2015, 23:08
hydr0x wrote:For me, a remake is an abstract concept not yet connected to a specific platform, just like a game.
Yes, agreed.

But a remake is also, by definition, an existing game re-done. So it can't be on the same data level as a game, but must be situated one level below, which is the RG level at Oregami (except when a remake breaks the different game criteria, which should be quite rare). Currently, I don't see any problem in ports also residing on that data level, except that a remake RG could be considered "more important" than RG's for mere ports, because of improved graphics, sound, interface, etc.. But importance is so subjective, an Amiga lover may be way more interested in the Amiga port of a game than in the shiny new Windows remake.
 #38224  by hydr0x
 28 Feb 2015, 09:48
I'm not proposing to put it on the same level as game. If I meant that, there wouldn't be additional levels ;) If you don't see a problem with both residing on RG level, that's fine with me, after all it's not my database. I'm merely suggesting that not separating them despite them being different things can and will lead to problems later on.
 #38228  by gene
 10 Mar 2015, 22:06
hydr0x wrote:very very basic archive.vg iOS app
Does not install on my iphone 5 with iOS 8. First app that has this error (I click on "Laden" and "Installieren" but nothing happens).

In the app store they say:
"Archive.vg for iOS is built on the great open-source database"
Where is their database "open source"?!

Anyway, I don't get the current state of their website.
Many things don't work at all!?
 #38230  by gene
 11 Mar 2015, 06:34
gene wrote:
hydr0x wrote:very very basic archive.vg iOS app
Does not install on my iphone 5 with iOS 8. First app that has this error (I click on "Laden" and "Installieren" but nothing happens).
After a few retries the app did install on my iphone.
Yes, the app is very basic. But at least they have one! :D
 #38235  by gene
 06 Apr 2015, 22:08
I discovered the source code repository for VGList.
Very interesting :-)

It's written in python, so I don't understand anything of it. Uses the Django web framework.
But the last commit revealed the domain http://vglist.beastarman.info , that's nice because vglist.net seems to be offline at the moment. But i cannot find any data in it, seems to be a development snapshot.
 #38237  by gene
 11 Apr 2015, 12:25
The InternetGameDatabase is starting their open beta phase.

See the announcement.

Someone asked this question:
"Why does this site exist? Why would I ever use this over Mobygames?"
Answer:
"Good question! Mobygames is a fine site but we will doing the data in our own way with influences from the members that contribute. We have already seen dedicated contributors coming up with great ideas for data structure. More-over we will be building features on-top of the data such as user lists and price watches, we have many ideas about this. Mobygames has had some technical misfortune and although they have made some nice upgrades to design, we feel we have a better platform to mix and match the components of our site to make things look hot."