Open Registry of Game Information 

• News and information about other online game databases

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37744  by MZ per X
 15 Dec 2013, 20:22
gene wrote:While the data model seems to be limited, they do some things right:
Indeed, it's the first project I see that has open source code. I also like the general look and feel of it, even though it's hopelessly simplified at the moment. But the main thing is that it's run by a single person, who can sell it to GameFly when it's gotten valuable. :roll: And I can not find licensing information at all.
 #37780  by jotaroraido
 19 Dec 2013, 03:09
While I have a huge amount of respect for the team at Gamasutra -- it's pretty much my only games-related "daily reading" -- they have quite a battle ahead of them rebuilding the community and goodwill to its old watermark. I'll be watching with a cautious optimism.
 #37783  by Rola
 19 Dec 2013, 13:05
...and I was watching MobyGames' Alexa rank sinking week by week, wondering when it would be "ripe" for takeover (having lost enough value). At least MZ per X should remember my September suggestions "boycott the site until they sell it".
 #37784  by MZ per X
 19 Dec 2013, 18:39
Okay, this is an early XMAS present for the games documentation community! :D Just glad that this invaluable ressource is back.

But let's wait and see what plans for the future the new owners will unveil, and what they mean for Oregami.
 #37785  by Ultyzarus
 20 Dec 2013, 00:44
MZ per X wrote:Okay, this is an early XMAS present for the games documentation community! :D Just glad that this invaluable ressource is back.

But let's wait and see what plans for the future the new owners will unveil, and what they mean for Oregami.
Seems like they want to put pressure on documenting more recent games. I'm not too sure how that'll go... They may forget the quality over quantity ideals. Anyways, it gives me a place to dump all my finds (which I'll also keep elsewhere with the sources) until Oregami is live. Because let's face it, Oregami will be far better organized.
 #37786  by gene
 20 Dec 2013, 02:19
Things are getting interesting.
Simon Careless (he invested money in Blue Flame Labs to acquire mobygames) wrote in the announcement thread:
To clarify on some of the comments over longer-term ownership of data, Daniel Saner's suggestion is going to be the one that we're most likely to try to move towards in the longer-term.

("A dual licensing model would definitely agree best with MG. Free license for non-commercial use, paid services for everything else... Commercial users pay for things like API access etc. The commercial users pay the bills, as they should, while the project as a whole is allowed to benefit everyone.")
 #37788  by MZ per X
 20 Dec 2013, 21:28
Ultyzarus wrote:Seems like they want to put pressure on documenting more recent games. I'm not too sure how that'll go... They may forget the quality over quantity ideals.
I also got this impression from reading their comments, seems like heading for some ROI to me. But okay, as long as it's only for new AAA titles where the provenance is much, much easier anyway...