Open Registry of Game Information 

• News and information about other online game databases

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37978  by MZ per X
 14 Mar 2014, 15:08
Sidasa wrote:i like the new logo. really sweet :) looks better and more professional than the orgegami-logo
I'm not saying that the logo looks unprofessional, or ugly. No, it's the perfect logo - for a site with flash games for kiddies.
 #37986  by gene
 28 Mar 2014, 17:25
Mobygames asks for your money:
They have set up a "patreon" (never heard of this before) where you can donate money on a monthly base (!).
The "rewards" are from nothing (ah no, their "gratitude") to a link to your website in every Mobygames site in the footer.

This is the most important part of it:
How your contribution will help
Your contribution will help us to continue modernizing the site (including making it mobile-friendly), improve contribution tools and flows, get the catalogue further up to date, attract more contributors and build a publicly accessible API.

Additionally, in the medium-term we intend to make MobyGames data available under some form of Creative Commons license so other sites, apps and organizations will be able to easily use our data for other purposes. There's less point to doing this without an effective API - so that's what you can help with!
While this sounds as a move in the right direction, I still have a bad feeling about it. It's still a "commercial" project, since the owner is a company. Well, we had this discussion a while ago :D
Who will give money for a project, that can be cancelled or sold to anybody at any time without warning?
 #37988  by Rola
 29 Mar 2014, 15:34
My girlfriend Paranoia finds it difficult to comprehend how those things like donationware, Kickstarter or Patreon work...

Patreon is less than year old, never heard of it either. Quick glance reveals people who make web comics or ...video game reviews on YouTube. Surely MobyGames offers more to the public.

Still, I doubt it will allow MG to hire me :(
 #37990  by MZ per X
 30 Mar 2014, 21:20
gene wrote:Who will give money for a project, that can be cancelled or sold to anybody at any time without warning?
Besides that, transparency is key here. People must know what's done with their money.

I never understood why the old owners of MG kept their financials hidden, and why Blue Flame Labs continues to do so.
 #38007  by gene
 10 Apr 2014, 17:37
MZ per X wrote:Surprise, surprise! :shock:

After over a year of silence, VGList is live. Doesn't look very functional, but I didn't sign up until now. Will check it out soon.
I registered but did not yet get the confirmation mail.
Did anybody manage to find one of the 7 available games and display some data?