Open Registry of Game Information 

• News and information about other online game databases

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37371  by Ultyzarus
 31 Oct 2013, 00:09
How to squeeze it in there....Hm I'm thinking about it... Maybe a Ranking (S A B C D, etc.) but it wouldn't be very clear. I guess having checkboxes for these would help:

-Users can contribute directly (MobyGames, Wikipedia)
-Users can contribute indirectly (RetroCollect)
-Peer Review (Moby Games)

It would also be interesting to see how those are managed

-Admins / Owners are active
-Admins / Owners communicate with Users
-Website gets updated
-New features can be added
 #37372  by Rola
 31 Oct 2013, 01:48
Ultyzarus wrote:-Users can contribute directly (MobyGames, Wikipedia)
-Users can contribute indirectly (RetroCollect)
-Peer Review (Moby Games)
I'd say it's already there, "contribution system" column.

web form (data input wizard like MobyGames has)
wiki (direct hypertext edit like Giantbomb has)
wait-for-verification (edits appear after being reviewed, like on MobyGames)
verified-after-edit (edits appear instantly, but are reviewed later, like on Wikipedia)
 #37376  by hydr0x
 31 Oct 2013, 09:24
Ultyzarus wrote:-Users can contribute indirectly (RetroCollect)
That's only the current situation though. It's not what's intended. The goal is to enable direct contributions (with a verification process), but only for certain elements. Some core data is directly edited and verified by editorial staff. It's different for covers again. We DO have a direct contribution form for that (no verification), but only users with a significant number of (potential) scans get access to it. Everything else is, as you said, submitted via standard web upload and then processed (thus verified and quality checked) by staff. We're going with a hybrid system like that to achieve a balance of correction/addition speed and quality. We use our "approver" (aka editor) time resources much more efficiently than MobyGames did.

I'd argue that as you are comparing other projects to your wishes/hopes/dreams/intentions/plans for Oregami, you should not only compare their current status quo, but also their plans. After all, these plans won't be made reality right away once Oregami launches, but instead might take years. So it's only fair to grant other projects the same luxury and judge them not only by what's currently there. After all, such a comparison of current status quo wouldn't look exactly good for this project ;)
 #37379  by Ultyzarus
 31 Oct 2013, 13:04
hydr0x wrote:
Ultyzarus wrote:-Users can contribute indirectly (RetroCollect)
That's only the current situation though. It's not what's intended. The goal is to enable direct contributions (with a verification process), but only for certain elements. Some core data is directly edited and verified by editorial staff. It's different for covers again. We DO have a direct contribution form for that (no verification), but only users with a significant number of (potential) scans get access to it. Everything else is, as you said, submitted via standard web upload and then processed (thus verified and quality checked) by staff. We're going with a hybrid system like that to achieve a balance of correction/addition speed and quality. We use our "approver" (aka editor) time resources much more efficiently than MobyGames did.

I'd argue that as you are comparing other projects to your wishes/hopes/dreams/intentions/plans for Oregami, you should not only compare their current status quo, but also their plans. After all, these plans won't be made reality right away once Oregami launches, but instead might take years. So it's only fair to grant other projects the same luxury and judge them not only by what's currently there. After all, such a comparison of current status quo wouldn't look exactly good for this project ;)
Indeed, it is normal that a newer database is expanding at a different rate than an already established one. It is, after all, why I do contribute to RetroCollect ;)
 #37539  by Ultyzarus
 19 Nov 2013, 17:11
Shouldn't there be a thread about the possibility of data import from TheLegacy and how we would manage that data? I'm guessing the first members will be the one that will adapt it to the Oregami standards. We should already be preparing for that eventuality...
 #37551  by MZ per X
 20 Nov 2013, 12:14
Ultyzarus wrote:Shouldn't there be a thread about the possibility of data import from TheLegacy and how we would manage that data? I'm guessing the first members will be the one that will adapt it to the Oregami standards. We should already be preparing for that eventuality...
You're right. After the data import, we will need to check each game and adapt it to our model. But I think we can postpone this discussion until our hackers are a little farther. :)
 #37553  by Ultyzarus
 20 Nov 2013, 14:10
MZ per X wrote:
Ultyzarus wrote:Shouldn't there be a thread about the possibility of data import from TheLegacy and how we would manage that data? I'm guessing the first members will be the one that will adapt it to the Oregami standards. We should already be preparing for that eventuality...
You're right. After the data import, we will need to check each game and adapt it to our model. But I think we can postpone this discussion until our hackers are a little farther. :)
Hackers?
 #37740  by gene
 14 Dec 2013, 12:47
I discovered TheGamesDB.net in this mobygames thread.

While the data model seems to be limited, they do some things right: They offer an API, their source code is available at github, they define milestones and they have a funding campaign running at the moment.

Interesting!
 #37741  by Ultyzarus
 14 Dec 2013, 13:48
gene wrote:I discovered TheGamesDB.net in this mobygames thread.

While the data model seems to be limited, they do some things right: They offer an API, their source code is available at github, they define milestones and they have a funding campaign running at the moment.

Interesting!
For me, they have the same issues as most other databases, being that they don't offer information or images for the different releases of a game. This makes them pretty much useless to collectors...