Open Registry of Game Information 

• News and information about other online game databases

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#38017  by MZ per X
 28 Apr 2014, 21:04
gene wrote:Did they say anywhere where they got the data from? Do they say anything in public?
No. :)
gene wrote:And why am I still not able to login?
Not sure, but I am. It took long for the activation mail to arrive, but it worked. Maybe try again?
 #38021  by Independent
 29 Apr 2014, 09:15
irrelevant, I think all are started small. German: es ist noch kein meister vom himmel gefallen :)
Okay, now they have 20649 games in 58235 variations in the database!
Uff its many but is this quality or quantity? (Weniger ist mehr)

German: kein Plan wie ich das in englisch schreiben soll: Die frage ist ja auch wie die Daten befüllt sind? Ich sehe nur ein cover und standart wie Entwickler, Publisher, VÖ-Datum ... but

where is the Credits, Tips, Adware, Trivia, list of sources and so many others.......
 #38065  by gene
 02 Jun 2014, 18:49
Found this today through a posting in the "Mobygames is dead" thread:
Contrllr
(Twitter: @contrllr)

From their current homepage (the site is a work in progress):
Played a game and want to write a review? Want to import your titles, achievements and trophies from Xbox Live™, PlayStation® Network or Steam™? Want to create, share and collect lists of of your favourite games, or games you want to play? You can do all of that and more with Contrllr.
They seem to have a good visual designer - let's wait what else they will have :D
They say that they "will hopefully feed off an MG API like Letterboxd does off IMDB."
 #38132  by MZ per X
 29 Aug 2014, 20:23
gene wrote:The central problem seems to be the old (perl) code base. Looks like a deadlock to me...
It might be, yes.

The ressources needed for a complete rewrite from scratch are too much to handle, I think, and chances are high that you don't do a better job than before. GameFly learned that the hard way.

So they will have to stick with the old Perl codebase which may be impossible to adjust to modern browsers at some point in the future. Just glad, we do open source from the beginning, and use a widely spread language. :)