Open Registry of Game Information 

• News and information about other online game databases

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#38160  by gene
 25 Oct 2014, 19:40
gene wrote:
gene wrote:Check out this reddit discussion about "Would an game version of IMDB be a good thing?".

Mobygames is mentioned multiple times, ande IGDB.com of course as well.
Oregami is not mentioned :roll:
Oh, now there is a post mentioning Oregami. Guess who wrote it! :D
A "mini discussion" has started! :D
 #38187  by gene
 30 Dec 2014, 20:21
New mail from IGDB, here's an excerpt:
  • People and characters are now on, check it out! You can now add and edit the real people who made your favourite game (we owe this to them) and of course those favourite virtual game characters too. Enjoy!
  • Notifications are now on, and they will check YOU out! We won’t reveal all the secrets that we have implemented to this one, but let’s mention the two important ones: replies to your forum posts and the releases of your hyped games will give an immediate note. Enjoy!
  • The article feature is now on! Let us know of all the great writings that game bloggers, journalists, academics, and other people have written about your favourite game. Enjoy!
At the moment the beta site gives an HTTP 500. Let's see when they fix it.
 #38214  by MZ per X
 22 Feb 2015, 14:33
hydr0x wrote:FYI, I'm finally close to finishing the revamped database model for RC.
Feel free to spell out RetroCollect. :D

May I ask, what the main reasoning behind the revamp is? Additional features, I guess. I mean, you're old data model looked good from an outsider's view, either.

BTW, are you still a member of EFGAMP?
 #38215  by hydr0x
 22 Feb 2015, 15:16
Well, there are two main reason for the big overhaul. Firstly, we want to allow editing of more data items by normal users through the website. Secondly, we made the core model (basically what's encompassed by RG/R etc. on Oregami) even more complex, adding new abstraction layers. We now have 9 horizontally stacked layers with a few more orthogonal entities. This of course meant having to fix lots of connections to other tables.

While doing this, we did a few more things (better to only update the scheme once now instead of again in the future) which led to the much bigger number of tables: Fixing some flaws that become apparent over time (e.g., we couldn't properly track changes in the licensing model during a game's lifespan), completing support for arcade and computer games, full normalization, moving all data value lists into proper lookup tables and of course adding loads of new features and specific data items.

EFGAMP? Yes :)
 #38216  by MZ per X
 23 Feb 2015, 18:59
hydr0x wrote:Secondly, we made the core model (basically what's encompassed by RG/R etc. on Oregami) even more complex, adding new abstraction layers. We now have 9 horizontally stacked layers with a few more orthogonal entities.
Interesting, would you mind sharing some more detail? :)

Overall, I'm really looking forward to seeing the updated model in action!