Open Registry of Game Information 

• News and information about other online game databases

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#38292  by gene
 06 Sep 2015, 22:45
MZ per X wrote:MobyGames lifted their media scan rules, and now accepts complete sets, where the media only differ by a number (say "1 of N").
Yeah, saw this at the Mobygames forums. Is that such a big deal? :o
MZ per X wrote:And I wrote another News Roundup for video game databases. Please yell at me, when I missed something. :)
The GERMAN TRANSLATION is missing! 8)
There's also the possibility for game shops to integrate their game products to the price comparison feature of IGDB; another strong sign for the commercial nature of the project.
Why is this "another strong sign" for the commercial nature of the project? Please explain this. :D
 #38293  by MZ per X
 07 Sep 2015, 18:11
I added the new OGDB barcode search, and some more monitored projects.
gene wrote:
MZ per X wrote:MobyGames lifted their media scan rules, and now accepts complete sets, where the media only differ by a number (say "1 of N").
Yeah, saw this at the Mobygames forums. Is that such a big deal? :o
No, but worth noting nonetheless. :)
gene wrote:
MZ per X wrote:And I wrote another News Roundup for video game databases. Please yell at me, when I missed something. :)
The GERMAN TRANSLATION is missing! 8)
I KNOW !!! ;)

Will do it in the next days, wanted to finalize the English version first.
gene wrote:
There's also the possibility for game shops to integrate their game products to the price comparison feature of IGDB; another strong sign for the commercial nature of the project.
Why is this "another strong sign" for the commercial nature of the project? Please explain this. :D
Hmmm, don't know what I was thinking, probably read the word "shop" and went commercial. :) Anyway, I removed this.
 #38297  by Independent
 10 Sep 2015, 15:11
Thank your for the translation. The EAN Search function is verry great and I hope we do this well.

(Das mit der EAN ist eine super sache. Damit kann man genau schauen ob ein spiel schon vorhanden ist oder nicht. Sollte man sofern man das cover beisteuert auf jedenfall mit angeben)
 #38298  by hydr0x
 11 Sep 2015, 07:56
EAN/UPC search is easy, the problem is filling in all the data ;) Also, unfortunately, a EAN is not a unique identifier for a release. I have seen countless of different releases with the same EAN :( E.g., we haven't added a EAN search yet because only 600 out of our 18000 releases do have an EAN. It would just frustrate users getting no results.
 #38300  by MZ per X
 16 Sep 2015, 16:10
hydr0x wrote:EAN/UPC search is easy, the problem is filling in all the data ;) Also, unfortunately, a EAN is not a unique identifier for a release. I have seen countless of different releases with the same EAN :( E.g., we haven't added a EAN search yet because only 600 out of our 18000 releases do have an EAN. It would just frustrate users getting no results.
Yes. it's mainly the people who entered their complete collection with all the data who will benefit from this.

MobyGames posted a news item looking, again, for coding help, and to fill the database holes identified earlier.

The IGDB people are working hard on a new image system. As a preparation, they are currently converting all their images to "support retina, mobile/tablets and the new image format WebP (both lossless and lossy)".

And there's a discussion over at VGG about cleaning up the Visual Novel genre.
 #38315  by hydr0x
 02 Jan 2016, 17:17
MZ per X wrote:A Happy New Year to you all! :)

It's about time for a new Game Database Roundup, I will start soon on it.
I guess our main update won't make it in time then :? :mrgreen: Migration of our database to the new design has finished, but we're still converting all the the php models and adding the new data to various pages. Well, something for the next roundup then. We do have an update in the next 1-2 weeks though with new platforms ;)