Open Registry of Game Information 

• New blog entry about our internationalisation

• Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
    No special authorization needed to post here!
Here everybody can ask questions about our project or present his ideas.
No special authorization needed to post here!

Moderators: MZ per X, gene

#37279  by MZ per X
 23 Oct 2013, 04:08
We'd like to publish a new blog entry about the ongoing switch of discussions to English here, i.e. the state of Oregami's internationalisation. Main purpose of this post would be re-attracting non-German people that may have shied away earlier due to our German discussions.

Now gene had the idea to spice up this post with voices from international people (German people may also join the fun!), as in making it interesting to read. :) So we'd like to encourage you, be it regular contributor or silent observer, to give us your thoughts about Oregami. Positive or negative, enthusiastic or listless, laudatory or critical, censorship won't happen. :)

If you want your voice to be heard, please reply to this post with a few lines, or send them to gene@oregami.org.

(Of course, if you want wo write a whole blog post about an interesting aspect of Oregami, or video game documentation in general, feel free to suggest one.)

Thanks so much in advance! 8)
 #37312  by Rola
 26 Oct 2013, 00:45
Oregami? A beautiful concept...

...unfortunately I have full drawers of beautiful concepts that won't ever be realized, lacking the right people to work with and resources. Want to make a game with me?

Forgive me this bitter remark, I'm writing it with sad face. I wish you had more skilled people working on this project, especially coders and organizers. Eager collectors and forum chatterers aren't very useful at this stage, when you're still discussing database structure 3 years after the project was initiated.
 #37316  by MZ per X
 26 Oct 2013, 14:10
Rola wrote:Oregami? A beautiful concept...

...unfortunately I have full drawers of beautiful concepts that won't ever be realized, lacking the right people to work with and resources. Want to make a game with me?

Forgive me this bitter remark, I'm writing it with sad face. I wish you had more skilled people working on this project, especially coders and organizers. Eager collectors and forum chatterers aren't very useful at this stage, when you're still discussing database structure 3 years after the project was initiated.
Thanks for the first contribution to our new blog entry! :) I hope others will follow in giving us their thoughts.

Of course, your wish is our's, too, but we need to work with what we have. Over the years, I came to the conclusion that the work we do here is worthwhile, even if Oregami will fail in the end. Thinking about the perfect database structure, about corner cases, and a better overall concept and legal base is important, and I have the impression that other projects have already improved by our inspiration.

But the database structure may be a bad example as we will prolly discussing this forever as new corner cases show up, and as the important basics are already there. :)
 #37323  by Ultyzarus
 26 Oct 2013, 14:55
I believe Oregami has very interesting features, and being set to be an Open-source website, it also allows for working hand-in-hand with other groups, such as fan wikis and the likes. I also think that it's good that so much thought is put into it, and the more I work on the wiki, the more I get to understand the data-model. And let me say that it works well, except think another layer of information GV (Game Version) could be welcome, even though it intertwines with the RG...

What I definitely suggest is preparing for an alpha or beta version soon. We have a lot to go with, and seeing a concrete result (other than the wiki) could bring us some more people... If we want to make this project happen, we have to move forward ;)
 #37326  by MZ per X
 26 Oct 2013, 15:56
Thanks for your thoughts. :)
Ultyzarus wrote:And let me say that it works well, except think another layer of information GV (Game Version) could be welcome, even though it intertwines with the RG...
We discussed this some time ago and called it "patch level", but noticed quite fast that we're clashing with reality here. :) The patch level would have been an important part of a perfect theoretical data model, but we want contributors to be able to contribute games and releases as easy as possible, i.e. without researching the published patch level of a release beforehand which, for many games, is nigh impossible to do without installing and playing it. Thus, we accepted the fact that the release group needs to be enough when it comes to differentiate between different versions of a game. Having said this, there is of course a facility implemented to document patches for games which eventually may become a tool for core contributors to document the patch level of a release through the back door. ;)
Ultyzarus wrote:What I definitely suggest is preparing for an alpha or beta version soon. We have a lot to go with, and seeing a concrete result (other than the wiki) could bring us some more people... If we want to make this project happen, we have to move forward ;)
We will, but will do so in baby steps, feature by feature. :) And I strongly believe that this careful building of our database will be a very healthy way in the end.
 #37333  by Ultyzarus
 26 Oct 2013, 18:37
Ah, by version I didn't mean it like patches, but by actual content. For instance one game would have a 16bit 2D version, and a 3D later version, both with the same general content, but still a different version. Anyway, as I said, that's pretty much included in the RG, just not as specific...
 #37474  by Ultyzarus
 11 Nov 2013, 21:40
MZ per X wrote:
gene wrote:I added a little bit for the developers paragraph.
Looks better, thanks! :)
Ultyzarus wrote:I allowed myself to do a quick proofreading and correction of the text ;)
Which is just great, thank you! :) While my in-use school English is not too bad, a native proof reader is always better.
Well, I'm not a native speaker, but I've picked-up a few tools while studying Translation ;) I might have missed a few things or even made a few mistakes myself, but most people shouldn't easily find anything wrong with it :P
 #37475  by MZ per X
 11 Nov 2013, 21:53
Ultyzarus wrote:
MZ per X wrote:While my in-use school English is not too bad, a native proof reader is always better.
Well, I'm not a native speaker, but I've picked-up a few tools while studying Translation ;) I might have missed a few things or even made a few mistakes myself, but most people shouldn't easily find anything wrong with it :P
A translator comes quite close to being native, I think. :D
 #37476  by Ultyzarus
 11 Nov 2013, 22:07
MZ per X wrote:
Ultyzarus wrote:
MZ per X wrote:While my in-use school English is not too bad, a native proof reader is always better.
A translator comes quite close to being native, I think. :D
Close, but not quite there. :P